Time apart = bad for marriage???

Due to crazy work hours my husband is only able to come home 1 day a week. The first week was great. We texted all the time and professed our love and missing of each other daily. It's only the second week of this schedule and already we barely talk, no I love you's, just a few basic text from him about doing crap for him. Plus I am home with the kids and enjoying him not being here. We never have to share the big tv, don't have to put up with his video games, we go out to dinner etc. Is this work schedule going to destroy us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• My father traveled with his job. He came home Friday night and would pull out Monday morning. Over the years he did get home assignments and would be home with us for a week or so. It really can work, my parents are in their early 70's and act like newly weds (married 48 years)! Lol on a certain level I think it's good that you can manage without him so well. And just because you aren't saying I love you in every text doesn't mean you're doomed.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:19 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Um it will if you both let it!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:28 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Only you will know for sure but it very well could break your relationship.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:29 AM on May. 20, 2010

• It really depends on your relationship. My boyfriend is a long haul truck driver, I only see him 3-5 days every 2-3 weeks, but our relationship is great. Of course, given his occupation, we are able to talk pretty much constantly, except when he's delivering and/or picking up a load. But, he was already a truck driver when we met, so I knew going in that this was what our relationship would be. If this is something that is new to you, it may take some more adjusting for you. Do you guys have things you can talk about? When you're apart like this, it's important to have things you can talk about, since your relationship will be based more on talking than anything else. He's not there, so it can't be based on doing things together or sex. Talking will be key. Maybe you two need to find some topics to discuss and see if that helps. con't....
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:30 AM on May. 20, 2010

• If you really can't find things to talk about, it may be that your relationship wasn't very strong to begin with, and this is just showing the weaknesses. Whether those weaknesses will make or break the relationship is up to the two of you. You'll either both work harder to find a way to make it work, or you both won't. If you aren't both putting forth the effort, then the relationship won't last.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:31 AM on May. 20, 2010

• There are many who are able to make long distance relationships work. But you have to want it to work. I think about women with husbands in the military and sometimes they don't see each other for months...or even years and they are still able to stay in a relationship. However, if you are happier without him there, maybe you should take some time to think about what you really want.
    PassionateMom

Answer by PassionateMom at 9:50 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Some people do perfectly fine with a long distance marriage. My MIL always says that she wishes her husband had been gone for a couple weeks a month!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Thank you!
    Anonymous