How much should a babysitter get paid?

I am a stay at home mom. My daughter's Girl Scout leader is in need of childcare for her two children ages 2 and 4. I have cared for them before and they are well behaved children. She told me to let her know how much I would charge to care for them. I was thinking $2.50 per child per hour ($5 per hour for both). Do you think that is too much? I know everyone is having a hard time due to the economy and want to be fair about it. Please let me know what you think!

jenjen21502

Asked by jenjen21502 at 9:46 AM on May. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• It sounds fair, but I would ask her if that is something that she can afford. I would also ask her to provide food and snacks. My sister is paying her babysitter $1 an hour or $10 for the whole day. She is now living in an extremely rural area and I think that is something that they agreed upon and my niece is 4 as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:09 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I pay my child care provider $5/hr, and she supplies all the food and drinks, for my 22 month old.

I think the right rate is whatever you two decide :)
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:11 AM on May. 20, 2010

• My sister pays $30/day for her childcare and that is reasonable in her area for one child. I think whatever works for the both of you is what the rate should be. $5/hr seems VERY reasonable for two children IMO.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:15 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I pay $25/ day for one child. Most places here watch the second child for half price so maybe $35 or $40 per day for both.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:21 AM on May. 20, 2010