Do you care about the sex of you ob/gyn?

In my very small town there is only one ob/gyn within like 30 miles, he is a man and only sees people at the hospital or at his office. Every thursday, at the health department they have an ob doc from out of the area come in to see the patients, she is a female. It is much cheaper at the health department to go for you check up and bc than at the ob office. Most of my neighbors,( I live in public housing, yes PA cause I am poor) refuse to save money by going to the health department for there pap and bc. The reason they give is because they don't want a female ob. What do you think?? Just curious, every body is entitled to see whichever doc they want, just wanted to know if anybody else really cared if their ob was a girl or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Health

• i do .. but if i were in ure situation and had no choice, i wouldnt care then. man or woman, both are equally good.. and i'll be more concerned for my regular checkups going ok and my baby coming out healthy.
    but IF i do have a choice, i'll go with a woman..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on May. 20, 2010

• OP, here just wanted to add that while I am pregnant I do go the ob office in town and he delivered my DD but all the time between then I go to the health department because I can afford it better. But either way, man or woman I don't really have a preference when it comes to that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I would prefer a man, but if I had to work around my finances then it wouldn't matter.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:07 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I've always had men GYN, I prefer Men. But if I were in your situation I would go with whats most affordable
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:09 AM on May. 20, 2010

• For modesty I don't really care, but I prefer a woman because they can empathise.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:22 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I'd perfer a woman
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:47 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I prefer a woman.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:09 AM on May. 20, 2010

• prefer a woman, but have had a man and have been ok with it. I was a little uncomfortable, but I don't know if it was because I always see my midwife (who is a woman) and I was stuck with a doctor (who was a man). I think I was more uncomfortable about him being a doctor than I was about him being a man.. LOL

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I've NEVER had a male OB... NEVER will! ;o) My PCP is also female... I just like that better. We see a Family Practitioner vs a pedi and my kids love our female doc as well.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:37 AM on May. 20, 2010

• All I care about is that they know what the heck they are doing. OK and that they are licensed to practice. Gender doesn't matter to me at all.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:40 AM on May. 20, 2010