A baby name to honor my late father....but we're having a girl.

My dad passed away last month, and before he passed I had promised him if the baby were a boy i'd name him after him (I had always planned to anyway, I just have all girls). We found out the baby is a girl, so there went my plans! lol.

My dad's name is John, which means "God is Gracious" so we decided to name the baby Olivia Delaney-Grace. Grace, obviously to honor my dad. We picked Delaney since we're an Irish family and it's important to us to have an Irish name in there too. I'm just not sold on Olivia yet. I LOVE it, but I keep searching baby names! Anyone have any suggestions, or is the name pretty the way it is?

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 9:50 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would name johna it's uniquie and honoring your dad. Unfortunitly I HATE the name Roberta or I would have named my DD that after my grandpa. I think it is awesome that you are including something for your dad! Oh and I am very sorry for your loss!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:47 AM on May. 21, 2010

• why not just use delaney or grace as her first name then?
    I do like the name as you have it though
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:51 AM on May. 20, 2010

• why not use john as a middle name? i would
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:52 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I like Delaney Grace also(:
    Well you could always use names like Johnna ,i think thats pretty or even Johanna is pretty close
    IzabellaBugg

Answer by IzabellaBugg at 9:55 AM on May. 20, 2010

• If you aren't fond of Olivia I would just drop it all together and use the 2 names you do like. Are you set on 3 names?
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 9:56 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Growing up I had a girl friend that was named Johnnie, she spelt it with ie instead of y.. My sisters middle name is lee after my dad but it is spelt leigh. What is the female version of John?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:57 AM on May. 20, 2010

• jon..like jon bennet
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:59 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I agree that you should use a version of John--there are several that would be cute for a girls name. I do however like Delaney Grace instead of Olivia. It would even be good as Grace Delaney. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:03 AM on May. 20, 2010

• We've tossed around the idea of a Jonnie, Johanna, Johnna, and we don't particularly like them for a girl.

We've also been discussing just dropping Olivia altogether.

Thanks for your input ladies!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:17 AM on May. 20, 2010

• My dad's name is John and everyone who is having a baby he suggests they could name her Johnella (SP?) after him

I like Olivia and I like Johnnie too
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:18 AM on May. 20, 2010