I need to know how to make a good cup of coffee at home

My husband and I are not coffee drinkers (although McDonald's McCafes are pretty awesome). However, he has recently started working earlier in the morning and has asked me to start his coffee of a morning. The last few times I tried, it was WAY too strong. I guess I am not sure of the amount of coffee vs water. I usually make 3 cups.

HELP me please :-)

ratchetlee

Asked by ratchetlee at 9:58 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Hubby uses 1 Tbsp per 2 cups of water...so for 3 cups 1 1/2 Tbsp. I don't normally drink hot coffee, I like iced coffee, but I can drink a cup of his and it's just right :)
    redsoxmomof4

Answer by redsoxmomof4 at 7:55 PM on May. 20, 2010

• That is 3 tablespoons worth of coffee. It is one tablespoon per cup of water. That is how they should be. He may like it weaker because McDonalds makes them weaker and full of more sugar. Good luck, because my coffee is to weak for my so and his is to strong for me.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:01 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I use Dunkin Donuts coffee and I think the instructions are 1 tsp/cup. I probably use that amount maybe a little more depending on how strong I want it that day.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 10:01 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Coffee makers are good for that. make sure you use a filter. cream, sugar, and hot coffee will make a good cup
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:01 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I meant tablespoon not teaspoon sorry!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 10:03 AM on May. 20, 2010

• LOL...oh Rachael, I know the feeling!! The first time I made it at home, I thought I was going to have a heart attack cause it made me sooo hyper, making it too strong, lol. I buy mine from Starbucks and have them grind it for me. I like their breakfast blend. I use 1 tablespoon of coffee per 12 oz of water (tho here lately I've jacked that up a bit, lol). Then I add fat free flavored creamer, not the powdered kind, the kind in the fridge, 2 tablespoons of it, and 2 packets of Splenda. And top it with cool whip free (it's fat free and sugar free)...like about a tablespoon if it. My husband made fun of me for like a week, and refused to taste it cause it was too girly. Then he finally did and loved it, and won't drink his black anymore, lol.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:06 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I like mine strong. I make 6 cups per morning and do 3/4 C of grounds. And yes, its all for me.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:10 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I use a heaping 1/4 cup for 10 cups. So...try using 1 tablespoon for 3 cups (1/4 cup is 4 tablespoons). If it's still to strong use less the next day, if it's too weak use a little more. Took me a while to figure out the right amount for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I have a coffee grinder, Black and Decker brand. It only cost $20. I buy whole bean coffee. You wouldn't believe the difference in fresh ground coffee! I use 1 Tablespoon per every 2 cups of water. I don't have enough money in the grocery budget to buy very expensive coffee but I hate brands like Folgers and Maxwell House. A good coffee in our area is Eight O'Clock. It is always fresh, not expensive and much better than the store brands and the other brands I mentioned. I remove the filter and wet grounds from the basket as soon as it is finished brewing. This keeps it from getting bitter. I also recommend buying real half and half. Avoid the powder creamer, the fat free and flavored creams as they all contain artificial ingredients and additives.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:54 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I really like mine very strong... but I know some brands you can read the label and it will tell you the 'flavor' YOU don't want a dark roast or anything that say robust. Try a light or Medium blend. I personally enjoy the flavored creamers BUT they are not so good for you. :0) Real cream or half and half is better if you are conscience of such things.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:48 PM on May. 20, 2010