Marriage Counselor Questions

So DH & I have a rocky marriage after only 2 yrs, so we decide to work on it & want to see Marriage Counselor to help us with our issues, question is: How do we go about it? Where can we go? How much will it cost? Is it really worth it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• It will work if you both are willing to go and work on it. Price depends on if you have insurance. You can call around and ask questions to the receptionist about insurance and cost. Don't give up on your marriage until you have tried everything!! tehn you dont have to look back and say What if we would have _____. Sucess of therapy depends mostly on how much you and hubby will put into the counseling and if you are prepared to make necessary changes.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:36 AM on May. 20, 2010

• With my first husband, we went through a church to find a marriage counselor (not a good idea in MY case, but it would work for others very well), it wasn't that much for us, being in a small town and going through a church it was only about $25 a session, I would assume it would be a little bit (or a lot) more in a larger city. As for "was it worth it" to be honest, if both of us had been willing to work on it, it might have worked or it might have failed, I'll never know because my ex was not ready to give up his assorted girlfriends and since I was the one paying for us to go to a counselor (in his words "forcing him" to go) he became abusive, in the end I left. Sorry, I know that wasn't much help.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 10:54 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Call your insurance company, They will help you find someone who suits your needs & who accepts your insurance.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 20, 2010

• In my experience, most marriage counselors suck. They allow a couple to come in and just complain and whine about the other person and nothing gets resolved. You may be better off geting a book from the library and trying that. I know this may not be a popular suggestion, but there is a book that changed my relationship with my DH. Its called The Proper care and feeding of husbands by Dr Laura Schlessinger. I know some people hate her, but this book opened my eyes as to what I was doing "wrong" and how to fix it. I thought I was a great wife, but the book showed me I was treating him like crap and gave me things I could do to change that.
    i would try that first because a counselor is only maybe 1 time a week and if its not working thats just time wasted and frustration gets worse. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 20, 2010

Love this book, and it helped me a lot too, I agree with you completely, and a lot of counselors do suck, if your going to get one I would definitly get one that takes marriage seriously, and is willing to look at both sides. I would look through a church, they seem to be better
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on May. 20, 2010

• In my opinion...for what its worth...you have to feel comfortable in the counselor....most people think that any counselor will do, so they go, air out thier problems and get nothing resolved. You have to find the right type of counselor that #1, has been married, #2, highly skilled in thier profession, #3, you can trust to help you work out your problems. I can tell by the first visit if the counselor will be good for the situation or not....
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:06 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I advise you to seek marriage counseling through a church. I have seen miracles happen through this venue. Plus you know they are not just in it for the money. good luck.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 10:39 PM on May. 20, 2010