Mommies of 3 year olds:

How tall is you LO? I took my son to his appointment and there was a little boy that was as tall as my son and he was only 2! Is my son short or was the little boy just tall? My son is 32 inches tall. Granted he was only 12 inches long when he was tall, maybe that has something to do with it.

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 10:55 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sorry, when he was born he was 12 inches long.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 10:56 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Your pediatrician should have a chart that tells what percentile your son is in. My son is at 55%- which means that 45% of boys his age are taller than he is and 54% of boys his age are shorter than he is.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 11:03 AM on May. 20, 2010

• My daughter was only about 34 at her 3 year appointment. In the five months since then, she's grown over 2 more inches. She's always been small, though. I don't like the charts because moms tend to feel bad if their child doesn't fit right near that stupid "average" line.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 11:10 AM on May. 20, 2010

• My little guy is tall. He was 40 inches when measured in April. that puts him in the 95th percentile. I dont' know how much size at birth plays into it vs genetics. My son was a preemie and weighed less than 4 lbs at birth. Admittedly, he was 17 inches long. You can find height/weight charts on line if you're curious as to what percentile your child falls into. Just Google "height weight chart".
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:25 AM on May. 20, 2010

• My daughter is 2.5 and she's 32 inches tall and she's kinda short for her age my doctor said. She's also only 23lbs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 20, 2010

• He was 12" when he was born? That is extremely small! Was he a preemie?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 20, 2010

• A preemie is going to be smaller for a few years, typically. Don't be surprised. My son just turned 3 and was 39" at his checkup, which is the 60th percentile. Sounds like yours is just short due to being premature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Anon, yes he was a preemie. Born at 24 weeks.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 12:06 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Sounds short to me, but my daughter was 37 inches tall at her last appointment at 2.5. She's taller than everyone her age we know, though, boys and girls. I'm sure the docs would have said something if there was cause for concern.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:33 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I agree, he sounds a little short but that's just for now! My dd is as tall as most 4 yo's... she's 2.5 and at her 2 year apt she was 36 inches tall at 26 lbs! I agree with everyone else, if there was a concern the dr would have told you and as long as he's growing on a curve there is no reason for concern!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:49 PM on May. 20, 2010