Question for moms that have been induced...

I found out yesterday that I'm going to be induced this coming Tuesday. What should I expect? This is my 1st, so I've definitely never had to experience this before, let alone labor at all! Thanks!

kshelby

Asked by kshelby at 11:06 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Can I ask why you are being induced, then, I can give you a better answer. Also, do you know what they are using to start your labor?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:11 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Not to scare you, but expect lots and lots of pain!! i was induced and i was in labour bor over 24 hrs..i was so tired but could not sleep cause of the contractions..I hope you have a speedy delivery Good luck to you...I have only had 1 child which i was induced but i have heard people say that being induced is much more painful then if you went naturally!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on May. 20, 2010

• If you don't mind me asking, why are you being induced? I only ask because if it wasn't for medical reasons, I wouldn't do it.
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 11:11 AM on May. 20, 2010

• They will probably give you pitocin thru your iv... some doctors use cervadil to soften your cervix... Mine just went straight to the pitocin. They will increase the pitocin probably every 15 mins or so... With my first I was induced and had my daughter after 13 hrs of labor- The pain is way worse with pitocin than if you were to go into labor naturally(at least for me) Don't be afraid to tell them to go slowly on the pitocin otherwise you will have a lot of pain right away and it could be hard to calm yourself down to manage it... I got an epidural but I really do regret it, I thought at the time that I couldn't handle the pain and got my epi at 8:30 pm and my daughter was born at 9:13 pm So, no matter wat just know that you have the strength to get thru your labor (with or without an epidural! =) )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Ok with my first I went into labor naturally and had 26 hours of labor so for the one who said over 24 hours by being induced, well naturally you can have long labors too. The contractions are more intense I can tell you that from having been induced 2 times as well. I was given a pill at 11 pm with my last daughter to soften my cervix, pitocin was started at 8 am and I had her at 3:20 in the afternoon.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 11:15 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I was induced with my daughter because I had high blood pressure. I was already dialated to 4 cm. when I went to the hospital that am, so all the doc did was break my water, I didn't need pitocin. If you want pain meds, make sure you set that up when you get to the hospital.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:15 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Ok carmadsmom i was just telling her my experience..i no that there are people out there that had natural labours and went longer, i dident mean to imply that they dident So Sorry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 20, 2010

• It shouldn't matter why she's being induced, it will affect your judgement on her if she tells you an answer to that. Just for the sake of you being able to say, "That's a silly reason, your baby will come when it is ready.. blah, blah."

Fact of the matter is, she asked what to expect with induction. That probably means she's scheduled and agreed, and is aware of the decision between her and her doctor.

I was induced at 38weeks. I had too much amniotic fluid and a very small pelvis, and the baby the ultrasound said was 6lb 14oz give or take 8oz, ended up being an 8lb 3oz boy, with a 13 1/2" head. My labor was long, but my body wasn't necessarily cooperating, even though I started having contractions the night before I went in to be induced, I just WASN'T dialating.

Expect to go in, get naked, and into their gown. (I brought my own little dress, i just bought one of those short terry-cloth ones you put over a swimsuit.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:18 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I was induced because they thought she was gonna be BIG. She was only 7/5 at 39 weeks. If I had to do it again, I would NOT get induced unless her life was in danger. Labor was 32 hours and the contractions were hell. I had 1.5 hours of a contraction, no break from it like a normal contraction. the pain was all in my back and the only thing that helped was a warmed bag of uncooked rice and the birthing ball. After 28 hours of labor, I finally couldn't keep calm anymore from the pain and no break and gave into the epidural. When she was born, she had to stay in the NICU for 8 days because of a combination of the induced labor and I don't think she was fully 'cooked' yet.

I would hesitate to be induced unless there is a medical reason for it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:18 AM on May. 20, 2010

• A nurse will come in, check your stats, and have you fill out all the papers, the assignment of benefits (if it's at a different place than the clinic you visited your OB at) and the waiver for an emergency c-sect if necessary. At this time they will probably ask if you want any kind of block, an epidural or spinal block, and can answer any questions you have. It will be hard to rest, but you should try your very best. At least try to stay calm, if nothing else. It will be an exciting moment, but you can't be up running around up and down the halls, waving to your friends, etc... that'll wear you out.

I had a long labor, and I expect one this time too. I went in at 445am on Friday. My OB started the pitocin at 730, and by 11am, it was up as high as he was comfortable letting me have without an epidural. He didn't force me, but asked me if he could go ahead and have the epidural in so he could further the pitocin without
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:23 AM on May. 20, 2010