My husband is joining the army, why does everyone have such a bad attuide about it when we tell others about it?

I dont get it.. They ask me all the time .. arent you scared... it will be hard to be alone, do you think your marriage will last.. what about your kids... UGH i cant stand it when people think they know everything about MY LIFE.. Not one time have some one said "Good for you and your family, you will be happy there!" Is a little support too much to ask for?.. I mean the Army is NOT a death sentance, but everyone acts like it is!! Sorry just had to vent!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It is great.People just think they know everything about the military lol.They dont care to educate themselves on what the military is REALLY like.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:01 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Military families have the highest divorce rate, domestic violence and mental illness are common and it's a very hard life to be in. I'm 7 years in and let me tell you there are some advantage but they don't outweigh the negatives. It's not the things you think it will be like he deployments (those are nice). You wouldn't think it but a break from someone you love makes you love them even more when they get home. It's also a confidence booster as you know you can do it on your own if you have to. The kids will probably have a harder time with it then you as they work a lot! It's kind of hard for them to understand why daddy is gone 12-16 hours a day and sometimes for months and months. Even one military enlistment is hard to make it through and even harder to last after he's out. You'll have to work for it but you can survive this lifestyle. I think you're underestimating what you guys are jumping into.
    Anonymous

• What it's really like
    health care is free but you get what you pay for. Housing is also provided but if you live on an post there is no regulation and living mold or a pest infested house is common. Your a single mom as your husband will rarely be home. He's joining a cult and will be a completely different man. The good things, you always get paid no matter what, if you have a minor health issues you're covered, there are a ton of programs out there that will help you if you need it, and there are endless resources for entertainment, you can often find things for free or a very reduced rate. Good luck and I everything works out.
    Anonymous

• I think it is GREAT! I really don't know much about the Army but I do know it is a fantastic opportunity for your husband to learn important skills to obtain a really great job in the army or in the future if/when he leaves. Nothing is greater than being able for you and your family to travel the world. I give your husband a lot of credit for taking that step forward to better his life and his families. So, "Good for you and your family, you will be happy there!" :) It doesn't really matter what others say, they may be jealous that you are making a great change in your life & they don't have the guts to do it themselves. So, hold your head up high and be proud.

Anonymous

• That didn't happen when my DH entered the Air Force..... I have a hard time believing you.
    ANYONE entering the armed forces receive respect and admiration.....Unless your friends are morons.
    We were a military family for 21 years and it was rare when the families had problems but if we did,...we all pulled together and helped each other out . A marriage will survive anything if you care enough. It won't matter what your hubby does....even if he is a banker or a fry cook at McDonalds or in the military, your marriage will be just fine if you care.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:41 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Praise GOD for your husband who is willing and for you who are willing to let him go for his trainings and deployment! It takes special people to serve our great nation!!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:41 PM on May. 20, 2010

• He's joining a cult and will be a completely different man.

A cult?? Wow, I was in a cult for 6 years??
    Anonymous

• What's he going to be doing?? What's his job??
    jucyfrut

Answer by jucyfrut at 12:49 PM on May. 20, 2010

• That's awesome! Be very proud of your hubby, being in the military is very tough, but also very honorable. It is hard, but not unbearably so. I gave birth without my hubby there because he was on his way home for r&r, so take it from me there will be things that he misses that are important and there will be times you need him that he can't be there. But, all in all most units will try to let him be there for the important stuff. And as for the one that says mold and pest infested homes are common, if you run into those issues, call your housing office, they take care of that usually in no more than a day or two. And you don't have to live on post, you can use your BAH anywhere you choose. I do suggest living on post while hubby is deployed though just for the safety factor. If you want to you can add me, message anytime if you have questions, I've been through the army wringer and would be happy to help :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:02 PM on May. 20, 2010

• It all really depends on your husbands job .The lady above her hubby must have not like her attitude because I can tell you some wives here are crazy.and they end up divorced because the hubby is just doing his JOB and she thinks he is out cheating.WHO wants to be with a negative woman?My hubbys JOB is GREAT.Works from 9-5 and home on the weekends.Sooo BE positive try your very best.its a hard life when all you do is dwell on it.Our 2st deployment was tough.I was to wrapped up in myself and selfish to realize that it was MUCH harder for him.I had it easy.YOUR hubby is doing a great thing.be very proud.Will he change?maybe..Mine did for the best.He is no longer lazy,he is motivated and works hard.HE has never HIT me,he respects me.I respect him.YOU will be just fine. My husband is Combat camera,not the safest deployment job BUT its a great and fun job for my DH
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:06 PM on May. 20, 2010