For divorced/single moms with older sons.....a little help please...

This may sound like a completely ridiculous question but please bare with me. My sons father and i have broken up and he is moving out this week. He will still be in his son life a couple days a week and i hope that we can parent together with minimal drama. My question is this.. Is it possible raise a son that is strong, confident man, able to function in a romantic relationship if he doesnt see his parents interact every day to give him an example of how to be? ok yes this is a STUPID question!! yes I know that is is absolutely possible.. i guess im just looking to hear success stories from Moms that have raised sons or have teenagers. I am so sad that my son wont have his parents together in the same house loving eachother and I just need to hear that it will be ok. THANKS! btw ds is 13 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on May. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• of course he will be able to! =) Especially if he sees that you guys can interact with each other, despite being seperated! My husband and I do things with his ex-wife and all of the kids... it makes it way easier for EVERYONE. good luck!
    Anonymous

• My SO is an only child that was raised by his mom. We are currently in a very long relationship of 7 1/2 years. I totally believe that you can raise a happy well adjusted child w/o his dad present every day of his life.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:47 PM on May. 20, 2010

• If your son is only 13 months old, it's highly possible that by the time he is older you may have a male role model in the form of a long term bf or even a husband. But even if you don't - yes, it's possible to raise a confident, strong man without his dad being in the house.

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Thanks Ladies. this is just such a sad and scary situation. ...and i hope ur right about one day finding someone for myself and as a live-in role model for DS.
    Anonymous

• I can't say enough how important it is to keep a good relationship with your son's father. I am 30, my parents have been divorced since I was 16 and my mom is remarried. Even now, some of my happiest times are occasions when my parents are in the same place for a family event. It is just so nice to have your parents together and able to get along. One day he will want you both at his soccer games and birthday parties, and I think being able to keep things civil enough to do that will go a long way toward teaching him how to have healthy, respectful relationships in his own life. Best of luck to you!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:09 PM on May. 20, 2010

• My son was 14 when his father and I divorced. He is now 24 and the most amazing person I know. It is totally possible!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:14 PM on May. 21, 2010