How to get rid of flies???

I killed about 10+ flies on my french doors last night. And when I woke up, there were about 10 more!!! I have NO clue where they are coming from. We never have any windows or doors open! I've heard of using something like dishwashing liquid in a cup near the flies and they fall in and die but I can't remember if that is right lol. Any tips? Thanks!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Did you leave a trash bag around there by any chance? This happened to me twice before at our old house. My husband put the trash bags in front of our basement window and I guess there was food in it. Maggots get into the food and turn into flies. Gross I know! I had to get an exterminator. Nothing else worked. If that is what happened there is probably a nest and it has to be killed profesionally.
    Anonymous

• You'll want to make sure there is nothing in the area (inside and out) that is attracting them, food, standing water, rotting plants (i.e. rubbish in your gutters), etc. Check under furniture and give everything a good cleaning. You also may want to just get some fly paper to start trapping them and then throwing paper away them. We had an issues with gnats for 2 years. It took that long to get rid of them. We had to make sure everything was clean, that there was no food stuck or trapped under things like furniture, around the trim work, under things like the refrigerator or stove. We had to make sure our gutters outside were cleared from debris regularly and that all garbage cans were tightly shut and had lids on them. We hung flypaper in those areas where they seem to hang out. In your case your French door. I know 2 years is a long time, but the numbers did keep getting less and less.....
    Anonymous

• Get a zip lock bag, fill it with water,and hang them up where ever the flies are at.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:59 PM on May. 20, 2010

• you can also get these sticky traps where you can hang them and as they pass by they get so stuck soon you'll see bunches of them I think you can get em at Walmart GL and continue to do it the old fashion way. As well when needed
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:22 PM on May. 20, 2010