How do you deal with...

Negative people. People that live their lives different than you. People that love drama. People that only call you when they need something. Do you cut them out of your life or deal with them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• I cut them out, even if it is family. I have no time for people like that. I don't need nor will I allow others to bring me down. Life is too short.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:02 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I deal because I really can't cut my mother from my life! I let her vent, then change the subject or get off the phone. Mostly all she asks me to do is call my dad and have him call her because he won't answer her calls (they've been divorced for 11 years). I always draw the line there, I won't be the middle person and risk him never answering MY calls. :-( I don't mind people who live differently than me, I just don't want to hear their shit all that much. I'm all for lending a sympathetic ear, but I have to draw the line somewhere.
    Anonymous

• WEll, me and my husband have been talking about this a lot lately. His family and some of mine are ALL drama, I have very few friends I actually hang out with because no one is happy anymore, or they find the need to complain and when you try to offer help or suggestions or god forbid, vent yourself, it gets pushed aside or not heard. We have become even more of each other 's best friends and decided if we are going to talk to people or get to know them, it will be in short meetings or casual waives... I shut all drama out of my life 4 years ago. Had our son 2-1/2 years ago and me and my husband hang out with each other and do family things and I've never been happier or more drama free.. its actually very wonderful!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:03 PM on May. 20, 2010

• depends
    if i can i cut them out
    but family is not so easy
    sometimes you have to grin and just try to deal best you can

i do feel sorry for these people but even that can wear thin
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:10 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Keep a thick distance & keep it superficial. Do not allow them to add you to their drama, just say "I don't want to listen to the drama" If you cannot say no & make boundaries with negative, dramatic people...then you should cut them off. There is a certain way to deal with folks like that. If you cannot say "no" then they will walk all over you. Learn how to say no....they will stop calling you only when they need things because they will learn they can't get what they want from you.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:10 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Maxsmom11807 I know exactly what you mean about no one being happy anymore. Honestly I don't talk to 3 of my good friends growing up anymore! Every good thing that happened for me seemed a bad one happened for them and they were giving off evil vibes to me! I now have 3 girlfriends. 2 that I talk to on a regular basis and the other one is a party/going out friend.

OP
    Anonymous

• omg i am in this same situation. i have some friends that ONLY come around when they want something! i hate it! i just quit talking to them. i am so sick of it. negitive ppl suck too. i just try to stay to what is important. my wife and my family. lots of people are negative to our relationship. and if that is the case then they can shove it. lol just shake it off girl!! live and love your life. that is what is important! :)
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:49 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I've been cutting them out.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:37 PM on May. 20, 2010