tough decision....

If you knew of children that were being abused at least verbally may not be physically (not sure), neglected, left at home alone alot... Would you call dfcs? Is it really none of my business?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on May. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• When I was 12 I was at home babysitting for my 3 younger siblings all of the time. So leaving them with thier 12 year old doesnt seem like a bad thing to me. It depends more on the maturity of the 12 year old rather than the age. My 10 year old stays home alone for short periods of time, but his maturity level for doing so is okay.
    At least they are thinking of the safety of their kids by calling you to check on them,that shows they are at least concerned. But obviously that is a huge burden and responsibility on your shoulders that you did not agree to accept, which is wrong. I would say something about that. As far as the yelling..remember..."a dogs bark can be a lot worse than its bite". It can get loud at our house at times too, I'm sure people wonder what the heck is going on,lol. If you truly feel the kids are in danger, call. But like other pp said, if its just that you dont agree with thier style,let it go.
    Anonymous

• If you honestly think the children are in danger then call. If you just don't agree with their parenting style, or don't like the parents I wouldn't. Don't do it to get back at them for something. That takes time away from case workers they need to help children who are actually in danger. Try talking to the parents first. They might just not know they are harming their kids. No one is perfect. They could just be very stressed and the kids are suffering because of it. Offer a helping hand first.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 1:05 PM on May. 20, 2010

• If I thought any child was in danger, yes I would call
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:05 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I couldn't live with myself otherwise,
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:11 PM on May. 20, 2010

• The kids are not necessarily in danger... I really don't like their parenting style. You can hear them screaming and cursing at their children all the time. I can't believe the way they talk to them. I get phone calls up until 10 o'clock sometimes telling me not asking me to go over and check on her kids the parents are over 45 minutes away from the house. I'm sorry I don't appreciate you calling me and ordering me to check on your kids who are home alone. That is your job. I just don't think they know how to be responsible parents and I feel so bad for those kids.
    Anonymous

• If you can call anonymous I would call yes!
    Anonymous

• I was a CPS case worker. Yes, you should call. Any time you know that a child or an animal (both of which lack the means to protect themselves) are being abused or neglected you should report it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:26 PM on May. 20, 2010

• How old are the kids that are being left home alone?
    elizabg

Answer by elizabg at 1:29 PM on May. 20, 2010

• 7,10,and 12
    Anonymous

• I would report it anonymously. It is neglect if they are leaving the kids home without supervision. They are too young to stay by themselves.
    elizabg

Answer by elizabg at 1:48 PM on May. 20, 2010