suggestions for where to get my daughter's 1st haircut?

She's almost 3 and we haven't cut it yet... it has grown really long and we've liked the way it has looked uncut. Now the ends are getting pretty stringy... and she's a little scared of getting her hair cut since she's pretty attached to it. Any advice on the kind of place I should take her to? I've always wanted to avoid those places that specialize in kids hair just because they are SO expensive. But are they worth it because they know how to entertain/distract them? Or are their any regular places that have their own special things for kids? Or should I just get some good scissors and try to do it myself? Her hair is long and straight. We just want it trimmed, no bangs or anything... Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OP here -- I also need a haircut, so would it make sense for us to get our hair cut together, to help her be less afraid? or would that make matters worse?
    Anonymous

• My cousin is a hairstylist, and she gave my youngest his 1st haircut at her salon. He sat on my hubs lap during the haircut, and my cousin took a picture and saved a lock of his hair for me.
    I have taken my older 2 boys to the kids cut places, the price was not bad (about the same as cost cutters or great clips), they had fun seats for the kids to sit in, and had a dvd player at each station with cartoons playing to distract the kids and gave them a prize when they were done.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:36 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Go to a kids place. How do you know they are more expensive? Call and find out the price. Otherwise go to SuperCuts.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:59 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I have looked into the prices... $17 is what I heard. Seems like a lot to me. She's almost three and is very, very into understanding everything that's happening around her... I'm not sure if DVD distractions are what she would need, just because she would be very into the process of it (more so than an 18 month-old, for example)...although someone used to dealing with kids would be helpful. Did you say go to SuperCuts for a particular reason, was it a sincere recommendation, or did you say that just because I sounded like I was being cheap? I honestly was wondering if places like that did anything special for kids.
    Anonymous

• I take my kids to SuperCuts. They do a fine job. I think it is $12. They have a booster seat and the people are nice. They don't have any special "car" seats or anything like that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:12 PM on May. 20, 2010

• We go to a local beauty college if we need cuts- we haven't gotten DD's cut yet. She's 17 months and doesn't like strangers. Anyway, if there is a beauty school in your area their rates are about half the regular places, because the students do the cutting. The teachers do supervise, and occasionally, fix things before they go wrong, so it's not like a completely inexperienced person waving scissors around your head. It would probably be a good idea to get yours cut right before her, so she can see that "Mommy gets it done and she is okay", so she is a little more comfortable with the idea.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:10 PM on May. 20, 2010

• My husband has a lady he goes to regularly. She's a mom and we've taken our daughter with us when we visit since she was tiny. A few times before we actually got her hair cut we would let her sit int he chair and let Linsay comb and make "snip" sounds with the clippers. Our daughter got to see how daddy and mommy sat and got to try it before hand.
    Spottychan

Answer by Spottychan at 11:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2010