Any Advice?

My 2 year old has been getting on my nerves lol. Shes acting like a baby. talking like a baby. crying for every little thing. throwing really bad tantrums. I spank her. I talk to her telling her shes not a baby that shes a big girl. and she still acts the same. Ive been told its cuz theres another baby in the house. But i give her (my daughter) the same attention i always have. I just dont know what to do. And she wont eat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she involved in helping take care of the baby? Maybe if she feels like you need her to be a big girl and "help" then she will embrace her role as "big sister".
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:59 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Well, I have a two year old that acts the same way, so even though some of it might be because of a new baby, it's not all of it. It's normal at this age. That's why it's called the terrible twos. But I still consider him to be a baby. Yes, he's on his way to being a big boy, and I do try to get him to use his words, and understand that he can't have everything his way. And he gets time out when needed, but he's still learning all that stuff. It takes time to learn it. It's not an overnight thing that happens as soon as they turn two. Be patient with her. it may take her a little longer since there is a new baby. Just keep encouraging the good things and gently remind her to use her words, to be patient, and that sometimes you have to say no to her. She'll catch on. Try to keep the spanking to a minimum. I'm not totally against spanking, but for us it doesn't work. I would try timeout. 1min/year of age. Cont....
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 2:03 PM on May. 20, 2010

• THERE MUST BE A FULL MOON. MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN DOING THE SAME THING. THE TANTRUMS ARE BAD SOMETIMES. I JUST LEARN TO WALK AWAY AND I TELL HER WHEN SHE IS DONE CRYING COME GET ME. THAT HAS BEEN WORKING. THERE ARE SOME DAYS I FEEL LIKE CRYING!! I THINK 2 IS A VERY HARD AGE. MY DAUGHTER IS 2 GOING ON 5.
    Anonymous

• And be consistent with it. And the not eating is normal. Just offer her consistent meals and don't always make her something different than what your having. If she doesn't eat what you give her at meal time, tell her that's fine, but it will be offered as a snack later, and nothing else. If she's hungry, she'll eat it. if she starts to lose weight or not thrive, I would talk to the dr though. That might be a bigger problem. GL!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 2:06 PM on May. 20, 2010

• She's freaking 2 years old. What did you expect? A little adult? Not gonna happen!
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 2:07 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Keep spanking her. It sounds like it's working.
    Anonymous

• you just described most all "toddlers" they are toddlers, not adults
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 2:32 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I obviously don't know you, but just from what you said it makes sense that the change of a new baby is causing her to act out, and that she is probably acting like a baby because she thinks that will get your attention since that is what is working for the new baby. You say you give your daughter the same attention you always have but unless you are completely ignoring the new baby then I think that is physically impossible. Not that you are in the wrong, you of course have to divide your time between two children now, there is no way to help that. I just point it out because mabye if you can sympathize with your child a bit about the changes she is going thru it might help her behavior to be less aggravating to you. That being said, I think it can be very effective to ignore attention-seeking behavior and reward good behavior with your time and affection and praise. This can help get her back on track Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:35 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Our niece did that when DD was born; she did it to DH when we had to watch her for a week. So, he did what she wanted: he treated her like a baby. DD was under a year old then and niece was about two years old, so whatever DD did or couldn't do, our niece had the same. Want to watch Dora? Babies don't watch Dora. Want to color? Babies don't color. Within a day she decided that being a big girl was more fun ;)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:55 PM on May. 20, 2010

• the baby is not my daughter/son. its my neice. my mom takes care of her. this has been happening for the past few months.
    Anonymous