Vegitables

How could i get my 17 month old to eat vegitables? i've tried steaming, flavoring, chewing, hiding, making him go hungry,everything i can think of and nothing seems to work....I dont want him to develop a preference to hot dogs and chicken nuggets the rest of his life...he wont even eat properly cooked chicken breast what can i do?

M0mmykitty

Asked by M0mmykitty at 2:04 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you tried raw veggies with ranch? My kids LOVE to dip. That may make it more interesting for your little one...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:07 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Quit giving him the crap you don't want him to have. Quit buying the crap you don't want him to have. Let him pick his veggies. Hide them if you have to - Sneaky Chef by Jessica Seinfeld - though I do NOT recommend hiding them. He needs to learn to eat them.
    Anonymous

• Vegetables....
    later on they will like them ....
    My kids only started eating them in their 20's. but they are very healthy.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:16 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I agree with the PP.....ranch dressing/dip makes almost everything taste better
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 2:16 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Hummus on veggies is good, too, and healthier than ranch. I did read somewhere that children naturally have an aversion to things that are green which I felt like explained a lot- lol!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:30 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Let him help! Starting at the store picking out what ones he wants. Summers coming and the farmers markets are a great way to make it more than just grocery shopping. My kids love getting up and going to the farmers market. Tons of fresh stuff! And it's not the regular old grocery store so it seems more special to them. Then once you've picked out what you want, let them had the money over. That helps make it feel like it really their new stuff. At home, let him help wash stuff. Let him husk corn, rip up lettuce for salad, pull the greens off radishes, ect. Try adding peanut butter to celery and let him sprinkle raisins on top- "ants on a log". Or just let him dip celery or apples into pb. I started letting my kids be a part of that stuff when they were babies. I just let them pick and then I'd build a meal around it. They both love fresh produce now!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 2:30 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Dips! marinara, cheese sauce, hummus, etc.

No nuggies or hot dogs until he is past the picky phase.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:54 PM on May. 20, 2010

• My daughter love V8 Fusion juice. She does eat some veggies, but not enough. Great tasting way to make sure they get them. Of course not too much..it is a higher calorie juice(most being 120 cals a serving), but my daughters diet requires extra calories.
    urthat1chick

Answer by urthat1chick at 11:40 PM on May. 21, 2010