how do i get my baby to take a bottle?

I have been breastfeeding my daughter since day one. Which is what i wanted. However i would love to just be able to go to dinner with my husband, but can't. (We have a 3yr old also.) What stinks is i'm thinking we may have to cancel our anniversary plans cause baby girl absolutely will not take a bottle. Any suggestions? If not just venting then. Thnx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is your baby?
    Anonymous

• You'll just have to vent until she's eating enough solids for you to go out to dinner. :( Sorry. I went through this with my first baby. A BF baby will either take a bottle or not. My 2nd and 3rd would take a bottle of pumped milk, but my first never did. My husband and I missed going out for our 9th anniversary because I couldn't leave her. You could have someone watch your 3 yr old and go out dinner with your husband and bring your baby along. If she's still really young, she may sleep in her infant carrier through the whole dinner and if she gets hungry you can just feed her there at the restaurant, or you could have someone baby sit your kids in the playroom or kids room while you & your hubby have a quiet dinner at home. This phase in your life will be over before you know it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:20 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Just a couple of suggestions- make sure someone else is trying to give her the bottle, not you. If you haven't tried different nipples I would suggest buying a few types to see if there is one she prefers over another. And try to feed her the bottle shortly before you expect her to really need to eat so she isn't really hungry and more apt to get frustrated and cranky. Give her pumped milk warmed slightly and have whoever feeds her hold her in a position as similar as possible to the way you hold her to nurse, in the same chair or whatever, etc. Good luck!

If you have no luck with the bottle you may still be able to go out to anniversary dinner, just nurse her right before you leave and then you have bought yourself at least a couple of hours, maybe even 3 or 4 if your baby is a little older. If you stay close to home you can always get dessert to-go if the sitter calls and baby needs you.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:27 PM on May. 20, 2010

• MY dd was breastfed as well and never to this day she wont take a bottle, i decided to try her on sippy cups but she dident like them either so we saw a sippy cup with a straw in it and said we might as well give it a try...and she loved it..i was able to go back to work and get a babysitter thanks to them cups...my dd is now 18 months old and will drink threw a normal sippy cup..:) i say try the sippy cups with the straws and see how that works out for you..here is a link to the ones i used with my dd

http://nuby.com/en/nuby/cups-spouts/9609

good luck!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 2:30 PM on May. 20, 2010

• They make a bottle called "breastflow" that is amazing! You would be surprised how much is simulates and actual breast. Also, make sure someone ELSE is feeding her, and that you are NOWHERE to be seen, heard, or even smell ~ I would even suggest hiring someone, a daycare provider or a nanny, who has a lot of experience with lots of different babies, to watch her....there's a lot of "technique" that goes into bottle feeding a BF baby, from the angle you hold them, to the amount of "force" put on the bottle, to reading the baby cues. If you put her with a nervous daddy and a bottle, you will fail misserably...LOL!
    OOOH, and the closer to HUMAN TEMP you make the bottle, the more success you will have. You need to put a drop on your wrist, and you shouldnt be able to feel it at all! You will likely need to re-warm it for the first few feeding, if you notice the first once going down good and then refusal to take it.Temp is HUGE!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:27 PM on May. 20, 2010

• YOU need to be absent when a bottle is given. That's not a guarantee that she will take it...but your being present IS a guarantee she will NOT...babies are smart that way. Hand her to caregiver, GO. Keep your anniversary plans. Really!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:32 PM on May. 20, 2010