controlling a toddler

my 16 month old Son has hit a weird phase. He has started hitting and bitting, and thinks its funny. He will purposely do things that he knows he shouldnt just to test me. Time out is a joke to him, and if I pop his hand or leg, he just fusses and turns around and repeats what he did to get in trouble. I dont know what will make him stop doing these things. I know a toddler will be a toddler but there is no reason for me to be allowing him to get away with biting or hitting or anything like that. especially with the fact that i'm pregnant and we will be bringing home a newborn in november. what do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i got advise from a mom about hittign when he hits you hold his hands down and tell him in a stern voice, do not hit mommy you are hurting mommy..i found it to be very effective on my DD :) thank you to the mom who gave me this tip :D
    I dont know what to tell you about biteing, my dd just stoped one day, and hasent bit me since.
    Good luck!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 2:40 PM on May. 20, 2010

• i have a 20 month old. she went thru the same thing. it will get better. i would not recommend hitting him as a means of punishment. expecially since that is what he is doing to get punished. does not make sence. just give him love and attention. his life is about to change , BIG TIME. he needs compassion and love. just be patient. he will get thru it, i know it is hard. congrats on your baby. spend some good quality time with him, he needs it right now. come november it will no longer be just you and him. GL
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:42 PM on May. 20, 2010

• For biting... dd was 13 mos when she bit me the first time... I told her no very sternly and walked away. She bit me the next day and almost drew blood! So I bit her back... I grabbed her skin with my teeth and didn't let go until she started crying (it was like 5 seconds), never left a mark and now at 2.5 she has never attempted to bite again! In fact, a couple of her friends went to bite her and she yelled "NO BITING!! IT HURTS!!!" then came to get me.
    For hitting, I just tell her no but she never really understood until she was around 20mos, just keep correcting him! My dd thought time out was a game and would laugh when I popped her in the butt so I started taking away her favorite toys until she behaved. It was around 2 that time outs started having an effect but taking toys or a priviledge away has worked far better than anything else!
    GL mama! They will learn eventually :) Congrats on the new baby!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:44 PM on May. 20, 2010

• They are little socipaths at this age. My 14 mos. old hits me and laughs. When someone gets hurt, she laughs. I don't think they understand the concept (unless they themselves have gotten hurt and then they cry like banshees). I just hold her hands and say 'no, no!'
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:46 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I used time outs and they worked for my DD. It took a few times for her to understand she has to stay in the naughty spot until I come get her, but she would get up and I would take her back and tell her to stay there. Her naughty spot is at the end of the hallway with all the doors closed so it is the most boring spot in the world to an 18 month old. Her hitting/biting phase only lasted a few weeks and then it passed- either because she just moved on or becuase of my stellar time-out skills. :) I personally don't belive in hitting children so that wasn't an option for me. Another thing I do is walk away if we are playing and she does a bad behavior. I just say "that's not nice, Mommy doesn't like that" and walk off and busy myself with something for a few minutes and she is usually suddenly at my heals wondering why she is being ignored and ready to play nice again.

MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:24 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I actually bit my DD back when she bit me. It took 2 times to get my point across. She is almost 2 and hasn't made an attempt since about 10 mos old. I did the same thing with pinching except it took 3 times to get my point across and she was 14 mos old. We haven't had the problem with hitting that you are having but we do have a temper and sending her to her room and making her wait until she calms down to come out is definitely helping. I wish you all the luck because the terrible twos are truly terrible.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:34 PM on May. 20, 2010