Pills And Breastfeeding

I wanted to know if any of you know if it is ok to take water pills while breastfeeding, I know someone who does and I wanted to also but Im just not sure if it safe for baby. My son is 1 yr n only drinks from me morning, naptime, and bed time so I didnt know if after he ate I could take one or not?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would talk with your doctor.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:45 PM on May. 20, 2010

• water pills.. you mean diuretics? Like Aquaban or Diurex?

Check out the labels.

Many water pills have caffeine in them, as caffeine is a diuretic, which if you also consume caffeine in the day and if it's a high enough dosage it could lead to issues with your nursing infant, yes. I would take it, and if you see a reaction in your child (irritability, inability to nap or sleep, fast heart beat, shakiness) stop taking it.. Some kids are sensitive to caffeine and some kids don't react to it at all (as seen by research into coffee-drinking etc.) A 1 year old could deal with a lot more than a newborn. If you take it, only take it in the morning a while before the nap.

Other types of water pills like pamabrom there is no relevant research and are generally not advised, so I would not take them. I know some diuretic hypertension meds are generally safe but can cause low supply. I get my info from LACTMed
    Anonymous