Honestly, how did you deal with losing income to be a sahm?

I am really wanting to work part-time to stay home with my 1 year old. I think I only want 1 kid, so this may be my only shot at raising a toddler and I hate working so much and missing out on everything! But, we are used to making a good income with both our jobs combined and I'm afraid to lose the money. We would still be doing well w/ DH working, but I'm not used to having to be thrifty. How do you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on May. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is a great site for thrifty moms, check it out!

http://athriftymom.com/

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:53 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Its easy-clip coupons, look for the best deals on meats and stock up. Do you NEED cable? Internet? the extra car payment? call phones? re-examine your life style and take away what you can live without.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:54 PM on May. 20, 2010

• We got used to watching the money. We made sure that my husband's pay would cover the bills and such with some left over, and decided I could stay home with Kiwi. I love being a stay at home mom. All you have to do is watch what you spend on and make a few changes. Plus, with you not working, you'll be saving money or childcare and all the other expenses that goes with your job.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:55 PM on May. 20, 2010

• But how do you socialize them with other kids? She has been in daycare since she was only 10 weeks old and I don't have that many sahm friends.
    Anonymous

• it's tough for us. we are on a strict budget, but we manage. we pay or bills, rent, we have food on the table and gas in our car. good enough for us! I buy in bulk or cook meals from scratch, i buy eggs from local farmers which are only like $2 a dozen plus they are free-range, I joined a parenting meetup.com group and we attend playgroups and social events. I have met MANY moms through that group and not all of them are sahm's
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:59 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I have been a sahm since straight out of college so we never really had an income change

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    "But how do you socialize them with other kids? She has been in daycare since she was only 10 weeks old and I don't have that many sahm friends. "
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

We belong to a moms club and 2 local playgroups that meet once a week. We go to library story time every wednesday where I have met many SAHM, we go to the park, My 4 year old plays t-ball and football through the rec department and will start Karate soon, My 2 year old does a mommy and me gymnastic class. There are many many ways to socialize you child you just need to research what there is to do in your area.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:05 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I take Kiwi to the park and the beach (lake) in the summer. Kiwi also plays with family, she has a cousin 9 months older and an aunt 4 years older, plus another cousin 2 years younger. I've also started conversations with other moms at the pediatricians office waiting room (goodness knows there was PLENTY of time), and at the park. I'm not good with talking to people, so that didn't lead to much, but for someone who is better at it it may. Also, if you are friendly with any of the other daycare moms, talk to them about setting up play time. Try part time babysitting of a kid her age, extra income and a playmate for your kid.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:07 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Start saving now. Save as much as you can so that you have that extra cushion when you stop working. You dont have to clip coupons, although it does help, to be thrifty. You can just cut out some of those little extras, like that $4 coffee in the morning or that extra pair of shoes that you just had to get but never wear. Those things add up. As far as socialization, you can join a moms group or take a mommy and me class. Walk to the park, say hello to that family sitting next to you at the restaurant. You can meet people ANYWHERE.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:39 PM on May. 20, 2010

• My husband and I decided that we would make it a priority for me to stay at home with my son after her was born. I too was a college student, but did work part time, so the difference wasn't that great for us! I clip coupons and shop based on sales! I rarely EVER buy anything that's not on clearance, LOL, and I LOVE ROSS and the Dollar Tree! ;) I've also babysat and things for extra money! As far as socializing goes, Bryson will start Mothers Day Out probably after the summer but for now, he goes to church from time to time so he sees kids there and we have a few friends with kiddos, so we get together with them when we can. There are jobs that you can do from home as well, if you'd like info on what I do to make some extra cash, private message me your email and I'd love to send you an overview! Good luck! I love staying home with my lil one and couldn't imagine it being any other way! :)
    bbuchanan1985

Answer by bbuchanan1985 at 3:39 PM on May. 20, 2010

• i have worked since i finished college. finding an early childhood teaching job in this area is hard and i wasnt going to give it up at first. now that he is 4 and see the last grains of sand running through my fingers i am dying to sah with him for his last year before K (not to mention i am a teacher and he is behind in a few areas out of stubborn-ness) so i have a plan for next year. 1. cash out my retirement - i dont need it , i am not even 30 yet and have a ton put away, and when my parents pass away i will inherit a lot of $$ -same with dh's family so it really is a better use for the money... 2. my mom wants me to stay at home - regrets that my dad never worked enough for her to get to - so she will support us by helping with some bills --- she volunteered that --- i feel bad about it! but i wont refuse the help! 3. cutting out non essentials - cable -etc.. 4. being at home i will cook all meals/no childcare
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:46 PM on May. 20, 2010