Do/did you have a tv with cable in your 5 year old's room?

Kiwi got one for her birthday from my mom and we only allow her to watch nickelodeon or disney channels.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 3:24 PM on May. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes. Since I am the parent I control what they watch and how much of it they watch. Everything except children's channels are blocked from their TV and the only time they watch it is weekend mornings or if it's raining outside. There is too much they can get into in the living room and they tend to get in my way while I'm cleaning or working at the table so with them being in their room they either watch TV or play with their toys. We still watch TV as a family at night from the time they get out of the bath until they go to bed.
    Anonymous

• No, none of my kids are allowed to have tvs with/without cable in their own rooms. I prefer that they spend time with the rest of the family, even when watching tv.

Answer by missanc at 3:26 PM on May. 20, 2010

• there are no TVs allowed upstairs in the bedrooms, including ours. All our bedrooms are upstairs, the only electronics allowed up there are cell phones, if we did not need them for work they would stay down stairs as well
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 3:29 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I have cable in all my kids rooms but learned quickly that it was a mistake! All they ever want to do is watch t.v, all the time. I now keep there remotes in the living room and choose when they can watch it and I set a 1 hour limit unless they are in the living room watching a movie with me and their dad...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:30 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I do. That's all she wants to watch anyway. I don't think that TV has ever been on another channel!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:37 PM on May. 20, 2010

• My daughter only watches in the morning and at night.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:38 PM on May. 20, 2010

• my 4 yr old has a tv in his room but with our cable plan he only gets the basics in his room / in my bedroom too (ick!) but it keeps him from watching it too much or watching bad stuff. i think as long as you can block the bad channels it is fine.. and so long that the kid is on track and not just stilling in front of the tv all day --- which if you ask the ?? i am sure your kid isnt. if you already have the tv --- USE IT.. that is why ds has one in his room. otherwise that tv would just sit in the basement and truly never ever be used again..
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:49 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Ki keeps hers on more for noise, she CAN'T sit still long enough to just veg out in front of it. But, I'm all for her disney/nick noise being in there! And, yeah, she's ONLY allowed those two channels, she knows that she will loose it if she channel surfs.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:54 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Personally, My kids will not ever be allowed TV in their rooms. I feel that TV time is family time. It's not on that often and when it is we watch together. With parent blocking systems the way they are now I wouldn't be worried so much about WHAT they watched but about the time together we would be loosing. I would hate for them to be in their rooms watching movies by themselves all the time. :0( I would miss the cartoons!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:54 PM on May. 20, 2010

• LOL....hold on, let me catch my breath....LOL. Um, no.
    Anonymous