Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What happens after they turn 18???

Ok we pay child support and have been for 10 yrs. Now but we did get a little behind so of course we owe back c/s I was wondering when the child turns 18 we just continue paying as if the child wasn't 18 yet (I guess) Will all that money pay for the back c/s? if so I guess we' ll just keep paying even if they are over 18. Right?
And do we stop when we are done paying or do we have to check with the child support dept.?

thank you ladies!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (8)
  • i would think you would keep paying untill your back c/s is paid off...but i am not sure..i would check with the csd.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on May. 20, 2010

  • You will have to pay until your back cs is caught up.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on May. 20, 2010

  • As others have said you'll have to pay until the back is paid in full. It's is my understanding that you'll also have to pay until the order is change. So as soon as they turn 18 go in and get and order change.

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:18 PM on May. 20, 2010

  • 18 isn't the magic number for C/S to stop either. For some orders it is 22 or 25 - while they are in college full time.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on May. 20, 2010

  • child support for the full time college student? Where? My 18 almost 19 yr old just finished her first year of full time college and she didn't get a dime after 18.

    but yeah if you have back support it will keep going until you are caught up...

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on May. 21, 2010

  • You have to keep paying untill all of the back support is paid. My dad had to do that with me and my sister. My sister was 18 and my dad still had to pay a few more months for her and when I turned 18 he was still a little behind with me and had to pay for i think almost 6 months untill that was paid off as well.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on May. 21, 2010

  • IL is a state that does C/S pass 18 for full time college students. However I also know it's possible NOT to do C/S pass 18 for a full time college student if the party that has been paying can show they are paying at least 1/2 of the college tution. That's how my step-dad has it work with his girls. Given how his ex has been he didn't want to pay her a dime after his girls turn 18. So he went to the court and worked it out so that he does NOT have to pay C/S but is paying 1/2 of the college tuition DIRECTLY to the college.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on May. 21, 2010

  • My children are in their 30's and he still pays back child support to me. Well, his current wife does. He's a bum

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:22 PM on May. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.