Crib to a toddler bed troubles!!!

Before we got our son a toddler bed, he was doing great in a crib, but was just getting kinda big for it, so we went ahead and got a toddler bed. He took great to it for about a month then something clicked and he realized he could get out of it in the middle of the night and he started demanding to be in bed with me and my husband! He has never had that habbit. He's always been in a bassinette or crib. So this was really strange for us. (also this was around the time we found out i was pregnant again, so maybe he is sensing that and getting more needy and attached to me b/c he knows something is wrong)

But we try so hard to get him to stay in his bed! Bringing him back to it constantly and fighting with him, always ends in me giving up and letting him in my bed, b/c this pregnancy has me so drainned.

We even tried putting him back in his crib made him so mad he threw up everywhere in it.

help?

Super09Mom

Asked by Super09Mom at 3:48 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i forgot to mention that we have tried "letting him cry it out" many times, it ends in him throwing up everywhere and our townhouse neighbors banging on our wall. I'm so sick of hearing everyone say "let him cry" It hasnt worked
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 3:49 PM on May. 20, 2010

• how old is your son? we had an issue with my son like this...it turned out he was getting 2 two year molars, and then he burst an eardrum. has your husband tried sleeping with him in his room? b/c of the pregnancy i would probably go with the giving up, and letting him sleep with you, you do need your sleep!
    when is the new baby due?
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:54 PM on May. 20, 2010

• he is 16 months, But is very long and big for his age, which is why he needed to come out of a crib. And i'm due in early November :)
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 3:55 PM on May. 20, 2010

• could he be teething? honestly, if dh doesn't want to fight him, as long as you all got sleep, i would probably let him sleep with you until august or so. keep trying his bed for naps.
    do you have a bedtime routine? bath, story, music? i used a music cd at naptime and bedtime, i don't know if that helped them or not, but i felt like i was doing something to help them (twins).
    congratulations on the pregnancy. maybe ds is sensing the upcoming changes?
    i also ended up putting a childproof thingy on the door knob to keep my ds in his room.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:16 PM on May. 20, 2010

• When my daughter turned 2 and was able to get out of the crib we decided to get her a big girl bed. Mistake we should have waited until she was 3, which I read and obtained advice from her doctor. You have to continue to remind you child that they have to stay in the big bed. If the child comes out and into your bedroom you have to put them back. I'm telling you from my own experience you need to speak with your child before bed time and set the rules. my daughter use to come in and they are just to smart for us because they know that we will be tired and give in. What you can do is set rules, after brushing teeth and reading a book, it's time for bed. You can't come out of your bed or room. Those of the rules. You can try a reward chart. See if that helps. I can relate about being tired, but you still have to get up and bring them back. They will get it.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 4:41 PM on May. 20, 2010

• When you give in you are just reinforcing the bad behavior as well as if I persist enough mom will eventually give in. You have to keep putting him back in his bed. It will eventually stick. I am trying to decide whether to convert our crib or not. My LO is potty training and has to go in the middle of the night. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:44 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Good luck!
    marcy2115

Answer by marcy2115 at 10:22 PM on May. 20, 2010