Question about my teenage DD. She is sweet and adorable but...

She leaves dirty tampons in her trash for months and lets it pile up. I went in her bathroom and there were bloody tampons wrapped in toilet paper soaked all the way through all over the floor. The whole bathroom reaked and even her bedroom a little. I even found some under bed and behind her dresser! I asked how long it had been since she'd taken out her trash and she said about 6 months! There is six months worth of period mess all over her bathroom and bedroom! Where did I go wrong as a parent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• You stopped checking to make sure she took her trash out?
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 3:52 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Teens are nasty that is all. My DD did the same thing. You are going to have to either MAKE her clean it up. Or you will have to do it your self. You already figured out she will not clean her area on her own.

Answer by louise2 at 3:55 PM on May. 20, 2010

• OP here. I work a lot and the rest of the time my DH and I are doing dirty sex things to each other, so no I don't check a lot. She does her own thing and we do ours!
    Anonymous

• Just calmly explain to her that she needs to empty her garbage at least once a month, preferably AFTER her period.
    Tell her that it's unhygienic and that it's causing her room to smell bad.

When I was a kid I was embarrassed about my period and used to try and hide all evidence of it. I would wear pads(because that's what my mom and older sister used) and instead of throwing them out, I'd roll them up and flush them down the toilet because I was afraid they would smell and everyone would know.
    My mum sat down with me and told me that I couldn't flush pads and that I don't have to be ashamed to have my period.
    I then switched to tampons because they're flushable and felt much better.

Why doesn't she flush them?
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:57 PM on May. 20, 2010

• It's time for you to become a parent. I always wrapped mine in newspaper and took out the trash immediately after my period.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you've done anything wrong....she's 16 and responsible for taking out her own trash and not hiding it. I'm not sure why she would have used tampons in her room and maybe that's something you need to discuss with her. She's to take it off in the bathroom, wrap it up and put it out...simple...good luck
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:29 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Wow, if my daughters were like that well, they wouldn't be. One things we have raised them to be very clean and for the most part pick up after themselves. I deffinitly would be sitting her down and having a talk. Its your house and you have rules and if she can't follow the small things there will be consequences. Think about this, she follows your house rules weather she likes it or not. It teaches her to be a better person when she have grown up and moved on... Good Luck! Stand your Ground your the MOM!
    BrandiSpear

Answer by BrandiSpear at 4:48 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I almost believed you until the dirty sex post...I smell a troll!
    Anonymous

• It's a teaching experience. Take advantage of it. Mark it on her calendar to empty her trash can each week. Teaching her makes you a good parent so you haven't gone wrong too far, you just thought a teen thinks!

Answer by admckenzie at 6:02 PM on May. 20, 2010

• You have to wonder is it the same troll with these questions....or, are there bunches of em under diff rocks. lol
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 7:07 PM on May. 20, 2010