My daughter's an only child

At today's class trip, her dad chapperoned and it seems that my daughter wanted to be the center of attention for everything. He said that when he left from the class trip, it seemed that everyone knew her name. I've reminded her to behave and listen and that we shouldn't have to call her name out countless times for her to listen. When my husband explained certain things to the other child, she got upset and gave my husband the guilt trip, of you don't love me deal. Do you have an only child and do they act like this? If not, can you provide me wtih incentives to get her to stop behaving this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on May. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have another kid so that she learns how to share and etc.
    i was an only child, & im not gonna lie - i can be pretttyyy selfish. & i also wish i had siblings.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:55 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I was an only and so is my son who is 14...we never did that.

Just continue to explain it to her and discipline if necessary.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:04 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Kiwi is an only, but she doesn't act that way. Point out how hurtful it can be for your husband to be guilted and how wrong it it (both of you should have the talk with her) and make sure she knows what you expect out of her, rule wise. Just stay consistent with her, that's how my mom tries to do it with my sister. She is obviously not an only, but she is the only kid in the house, she's nine, I'm 26 and my brother is 23, so she's raised as an only.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:15 PM on May. 20, 2010

• My son is an only child he doesn't behave that way. You have to teach her how to behave and have consequences for her actions.

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 5:39 PM on May. 20, 2010

• My dd is an only, and doesn't act that way at all. I agree with momtolucas2002's advice.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:03 PM on May. 20, 2010