What are the types of induction that are available?

I'm trying hard to weigh out the pros and cons of both sides. With my first child I never had to worry about this, he came all on his own, but baby number 2 shows NO signs of making his presence known. What are the different types of induction, natural and medical?
Thanks!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 4:07 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• they can give you pitocin to induce labor, another way is if you have a mid wife they can try to open you up manually to start dialating.
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 4:08 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Some people go into labor after chiropractic care because a nerve or spinal misalignment was impeding their progress. Others use acupuncture. Some people burn mugwort near a reflexology point in the foot to stimulate dilation and contractions. Some people drink castor oil (which makes most people poop a lot) or take herbs from the cohosh family (which can stimulate contractions and cause bleeding).

Very few induction methods are safe and reliable. The more intervention with induction, the greater the risk of complications.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:19 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Pitocin breaking the water, there are a few different types of chemicals they insert into or near the cervix, then there's the natural induction things ecodani mentioned. None of these will really work that well (or at all) though if your body and baby aren't ready. Some things it's best to wait for :) I was induced with DD, and I hope to be able to avoid induction this time around; last time I couldn't. It wasn't terrible, but it isn't something to go on the bucket list either.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:22 PM on May. 20, 2010

• they can give you cervidal, to soften and thin out your cervix.
    they can give you pitocin to start contractions.
    or they can just break your water and wait for the to start things.

each has thier risk, and they may do a combination of the 3 depending on the situation.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 6:31 PM on May. 20, 2010

• It is great to be as informed as possible, weigh risks & benefits, pros & cons.  
    For a healthy pregnancy, there is no reason to induce, of course.   
    If a mom/baby has complications then seeing which is more risky will be important!  

Natural Ways to Induce Labor

Inducing Labor - Induction of Labor

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:55 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Also, it might be good to become familiar with the "the big picture."     

What's a 'Pushed Birth'?

Good luck!

:-)

doulala