Is it the end of the world for you if somebody writes you a check and it bounces?

my daughter wrote my sister a check and it bounced and now my sister and her husband are acting like they will be damaged forever by this small mistake.

what happened is my 18 yr old who is new to the world of checking, made an error and wrote a check and didn't have quite enough to cover it. my daughter said she will pay them cash plus the over draft fee.

they still are acting like this is the end of the world and how dare she make such a mistake...she is 18....your still learning at 18. I would understand if she were into her 30's but she is still young enough to, not be as perfect as my sister and her husband...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well, we've never had the experience ourselves but by the looks of what others have written I guess you have to place yourself in their shoes and experience what they are going through. It's always good to have enough funds to cover expenses.

Anonymous

• Your sister is probably over reacting a little bit. Your daughter made a mistake and as long as its an honest one that she's learned from then they should just let it go.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:22 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Um, are you the one who wrote and bounced the check because at the beginning it says "your daughter" and at the end it says "my sister". LOL, just curious. Anyways, just today I found out that my paycheck bounced. It is a PAIN in the butt to try and fix. Even though my boss "fixed" the situation by giving me the money that I earned plus overdraft fees and expenses, it is a big mess trying to fix it with who I owe now because of my boss's mistake. More than likely the sister is going through the same thing. Give her some time to cool down and have the check writer sincerely apologize.

Anonymous

• we had a quy write us a bad check...his $20 fail wound up costing us fees at the bank for the bounced check, and froze our account. Meanwhile, a credit card payment tried to go through...it bounced back on us since our account had been frozen, resulting in a bunch of ridiculous fines with the CC company. All in all, it would up costing us over $200 in FEES because of that guy's mistake.
    Not the end of the world, but a HUGE pain in the ass!
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 9:27 PM on May. 20, 2010

• This is why I dont bank,I choose a home safe and bolt and lock it to the floor in my home.Banks can't be trusted anymore.
    Anonymous

• if your daughter bounced the check aren't all the fees her responsibility. As long as she pays I do think they are over reacting. We have all bounced a check here and there.
    Anonymous

• It is very aggravating when someone bounces a check to you. There are the fees, then you have to make sure that everything in your account is covered since those funds were just taken out.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 11:24 PM on May. 20, 2010