For all the mommy's that are against induction..

Do you worry about meconium? My doctor induced me at 41 weeks because he feared there would be meconium in her amniotic fluid if we waited longer. Meconium can be so dangerous.

Not meaning to step on any toes here, just honestly wondering what your opinions/views were.

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 4:31 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You might be opening a can of worms here. Most of the people who are dead set against induction think that nothing is a big deal. Blood pressure, fluid level, meconium, any of it. Two months past your due date? Doesn't matter. Baby born not breathing? No big deal. Seriously. The dirt birthers here on CM are a different breed.
    Anonymous

• I'm against it when a woman is complaining at 34 weeks that she's ready to be done, and is willing to try anything and everything because she's inconvenienced. Medical reasons make sense.
    Anonymous

• I've learned a lot about inductions in the past year and I'm against them when they are done just from convenience...convenience for the dr, or the mother is uncomfortable, etc. My sister was induced 1 week past due because her dr was concerned about merconuium and turns out she was right. My neice was born not breathing due to merconium and was rushed to ICU. Luckily she is now a healthy 11 yr old girl, but if my sister had not been induced she most likely would not have lived. I'm not sure when merconium becomes and issue or if there is a way to know if it's becoming a problem or not.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:43 PM on May. 20, 2010

• i didn't have a choice - I had Gestational Diabetes and they literally did not give me an option, they told me my due date then
    let me know the effects of what could happen if I tried to go full term etc. everyone thinks its black and white when it comes to what mothers do, but it rarely is.. sad.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:43 PM on May. 20, 2010

• My philosophy is to do what the Medical Professionals say. There is no way I would listen to anyone on a board like CM or make up my own mind when I don't have a Medical degree. Listen to your Doctor.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:50 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Meconium is NOT a threat, provided that the infant is not forced to take a breath instantly, as most OBs prefer, rather than waiting until the cord stops pulsing to cut it, and THEN encourage breathing. I had one of my 3 who had meconium in his fluid, NO adverse affects because it was treated as it should have been. ALL of them had a nuchal cord... I had a single artery cord with the 3rd one- and you know, I had happy, pink babies who had NO ill effects from being left to cook until they were ready.

There are a few, very, very, very, very few reasons to induce- As what my sister will be going through in a few weeks with her 6th child. The placenta is not functioning as well as it should be, because this is her 6th pregnancy in 10 years, her body is not coping. In this instance, it is necessary to ensure the health of the child.
    I am against induction for the purpose of convenience. It puts mother and infants life at risk.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:25 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Oh, let's all bow down to Dr. Obby. She knows EVERYTHING.
    Anonymous

• i agree with obby.
    can't induction lead to stressing the baby, and then you get the meconium?
    i think there is no harm in asking a dr. what the risks would be if there were no intervention. to intervene because maybe something might go wrong....i don't think that is usually the best plan.
    i know sometimes it is medically necessary for the safety of the mom and/ or child...but i also believe that many times dr's jump the gun with interventions.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:59 PM on May. 20, 2010