What do you recommend for a water & food bowl for dogs?

Right now I am using those small tubs (aluminum) I guess that you get at the hardware store for water and a small bowl for food (SS). It is so hot outside I wish I could do more but my home is too small and I do not want to give them up. Thanks ladies for your feedback.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Pets

• Anything that's not plastic. A lot of dogs have plastic allergies and they can make the skin around their mouth break out. They have 3-5 gallon metal buckets at Home Depot that we use at our kennel for water for the big dogs. Then switch the aluminum bowl you have to food.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:39 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I agree with the PP, you can pick up the galvanized water buckets for cheap at a hardware store or go to a farm store. Get one with a handle and you can clip it to a fence to lessen the risk of it being tipped over constantly. As far as food bowls go, I have always used metal bowls for feeding. Plastic and ceramic tend to cause some animals to break out in a rash around the mouth.
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 11:55 PM on May. 20, 2010

• i agree with not using plastic bowls, but i'm pretty sure it's not because of a plastic allergy- when plastic gets nicks in it from use or if the dog chews on it, bacteria gets stuck in there and when the animal uses the bowl, that bacteria transfers to the pet's face, causing a break-out.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 11:13 AM on May. 21, 2010