Making your own baby food

My fiancé and I are about to make our sons food for him. We bought a book with recipes and nutritional guidelines to make sure we do it right, but we are not sure what kind of equipment to use.

Does anyone use just a basic food processor or something specifically for baby food? I haven't been able to find anything for just baby food in a store or that wasn't around $150 to $200 for the equipment.

kristinmj

Asked by kristinmj at 5:44 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Blenders are really enough.
    Anonymous

• If the baby is old enough, you can even just use a fork for most things. A blender, food processer, etc, are good options.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:52 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I always just soft steamed veggies and used the back of the fork to mash things up/mix with water or bmilk

Answer by missanc at 7:20 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I used a mini food processor. If things are soft enough you can you a potato masher or a fork. I wish you luck. I made my own food and my LO enjoyed.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:38 PM on May. 20, 2010

• We have a magic bullet and we use that. Mostly because it's smaller and easier to clean than the big food processor, which we also have. Seriously, you don't need anything special. Babies and weddings are the same - say something is for babies or for weddings and the price is jacked up ridiculously high.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:25 PM on May. 20, 2010

• You don't need to fuss with all that if you don't want to. Food before 1 is about fun and exploration, not nutrition. That's because they don't have the gut maturity to digest solid foods very well. What goes in is going to come out the other end not much digested which is normal and fine because all nutrition comes from breastmilk/formula. All the equipment you need is fruits and veggies and a fork and spoon. Give the baby whatever you are having as long as it isn't too much salt or sugar added. Even easier go with things that are naturally soft like avocado and pears and peas.

If you wait until the baby is old enough to have developed good tongue control and makes chewing motions you won't need to mash things into oblivion either. Just give small chunks. Six months old is when babies start to develop better mouth control. Usually around 8-10 months they can feed themselves
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:19 PM on May. 20, 2010