When can I pick strawberries off my plant?

I'd say about a month ago I planted a strawberry plant and today I saw a strawberry I wanted to pick it but wasn't sure if it was ready I mean it was small and red I did not want to cut it off too soon so I left it alone only to find it with a hole on the other side with a few bugs :(
What can I do to prevent this from happening again. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• when they are completely red, or have a small amount of white under the leaves, with the remainder red- they are ripe.
    You can prevent the bugs from eating them, by picking them as soon as you see them! :)
    immature plants produce small fruit- your plant would have to be in its 3rd year to bear fruit, by year 5 they are matured enough to bring in a decent crop.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:05 PM on May. 20, 2010

• You're not supposed to harvest anything the first year, and minimal the 2nd year. A single plant won't do much, you need to get a couple more with it. But that lonely lil berry is going to have to rot on the plant if you want to do it right and get a good harvest in a couple years.
    Anonymous

• Wow.. Im a newbie too.. IDK what to do! :-( I bought the plant at lowes. planted it.. when they turned red i was told to pick them so i did.. they are growing back faster this time around! :) WOPEE! But are still just as small..
    IDK how to keep a plant year after year?? So how do i GET it to the 2nd,3rd season?! lol
    Im also growing tomatoes.. They are just now growing and are still green..
    I hope I start to understand this stuff, Id love to have a full garden one day... I knew gardening was hard work but didnt know it would be confusing..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:28 PM on May. 20, 2010

• ITS ACTUALLY OUT OF SEASON SO IM SURPRISED YOUR GETTING ANY ......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on May. 21, 2010