poop

My poor son hasnt pooped well for the last 2 days.. hes had a nugget or two yesterday an today none at all...

he USUALLY has about 3 poopie diapers a day.. an he seems uncomfortable today in the tummy region..

any advice on how to help my little guy poo? :( hes 4 1/2 months btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• prune juice, or prunes if hes on solids. thats when i started my son on solids, so i could give him prunes when that happened. but before he was on solids, i would put a nipple on a gerber prune&apple juice and give him just a few sips, and it would make him poop within hrs. call & check with ur DR, but im sure thats what theyll say because my DR is the one told me..
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:12 PM on May. 20, 2010

• thank you! :)
    Anonymous

• rub his tummy and push his legs towards his stomach as if in the fetal position. it will help with some of the discomfort. and yes the prune and apple juice will help- if its not better by tomr. call the dr and he might have to give him something to help him poop.
    Anonymous

• thank you as well! :)
    Anonymous

• baby food prunes like PURPULbutterfly stated works AMAZING! you should see results in a few hours with that. I have been struggling with my son having hard stools since he was 2 months and he is 6 months now and the baby food prunes does the trick. before he was eating solids my dr told us to given him a half ounce to an ounce a day of prune juice. start with the smaller portion and increase slightly if it doesn't work.

there is also a trick where you can take his temperature rectally and that could stimulate the bowels and help him go. using a q tip with some petroleum jelly and inserting just the cotton portion into his butt can do the same trip. my dr friend showed me this last trick. that will make it pretty much instant, but not everyone is comfortable with that. i would only use this as a last resort.
    Anonymous

• wow Q-tip?! who woulda thought! i dont think im ready for that haha but we are trying prunes as we speak an he is not a fan! haha but its worth a shot! than you for your tips!! :)
    Anonymous

• Have you recently started giving solids or vitamin drops? I would try to figure out what was causing the constipation. I would suggest a suppository over offering anything besides breast milk or formula.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 1:40 AM on May. 21, 2010