2 month old with bad cold - concerned

My little girl is 11 weeks old and came down with a bad cold. She started to be sick on may 10th and it got really bad on 14th. She was very sleepy, cough, sneezing etc. She went to see the doctor on sunday the 16th and he said she had a bad cold and to wait it out. She had no fever at all and seemed to get better in the beginning of the week. Today, May 20th, she is sleeping almost nostop again. She was only awake for about 3 hours total. Not herself. Is it normal for a baby to bounce back like that after improving? We saw the doctor today and he said she still has a cold and nothing we can do about it. But I am in the process of switching as I don't value his opinion much - don't think he knows what he is doing. What shall I do or what experiences did other moms have?? Help - very concerned

SylwiaH

Asked by SylwiaH at 8:03 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she still sneezing/ coughing/ runny nose? Colds take 10-14 days on average to go away.

If she is drinking okay, peeing okay and has no fever, I would believe the doctor. If you have one of those bulb syringe things, to suck the mucous out of her nose, she will breathe easier. If you can use a humidifier, to keep the air moist, that will also help.

One other explanation for the sleepiness is a growth spurt. Sometimes they sleep a bunch more (or change pattern entirely) right before they are going to grow more rapidly. I'm not saying that is what it is, but it's possible, especially if her cold symptoms are starting to go away.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:10 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I would go to the ER with her and have them take a look at her and check her lungs she is in the window of coming down with RSV which is a very scary thing. I would bring her in right now. GL and I hope she is better soon and you have more then go home and wait it out.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:11 PM on May. 20, 2010

• My son had RSV and an ear infection when he was 6 months old. I was having a COW about it and his pediatrician didn't seem to care at all...which made me concerned because I've heard so many horror stories about babies getting RSV. But the truth is, there isn't anything they can do for a cold. They told me to bring him back in if A. he wasn't having wet diapers B. If I couldn't get him to eat or drink anything C. If his chest, near his ribs, started caving in when he would breath D. If his nostrils kept flaring E. If his temp went above 102 F. Or if he showed any signs of struggling to breath or seemed dehydrated. Other than that, the cold just has to run its course on its own. RSV is usually accompained by a fever, so I don't think she has that. Just keep her away from people, keep her nose clear, maybe even prop her up a little when she sleeps, and push push push liquids to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. GOod luck.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:21 PM on May. 20, 2010

• using saline drops in her nose can help loosen any mucus in her nasal passages so you can get it out with a bulb syringe better, other than that maybe the cool mist humidifier by vicks that you put the vicks vapor liquid stuff in. if she doesn't have a fever then it probably is just a cold but if you feel you need a second opinion, get one. follow your instincts.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:55 PM on May. 20, 2010