My daughter wants to play with other children so badly...how do I deal?

Today was such a beautiful day that I took my 22 month old to the park for the first time this year (in my upstate NY town, the park is only open from May to the end of August). She is an only child.

We played in the sandbox, and she loved it. There were a few other kids in the sandbox too, and she was so happy to see them. She walked over to some of them, and just waved and stared. One little boy, she followed around (lol).

I feel so bad that she wants to be in the company of other children. But I know in my heart that I just don't want anymore children.

How do you deal with the feelings of guilt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on May. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• well hun nobody said they have to be YOUR children lol. just join some kind of group for parents/kids of her age or take her to story time or more parks. eventually you'll make friends with other parents who have kids around her age and then you can have playdates and such. nothing to feel guilty about.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:10 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Find some play groups for her and you. My DD is an only child in the house and her older brother and sister we see maybe everyother monthor longer and she loves playing with other children also. I am without a doubt done having anymore I just had my tubes tied.
    Anonymous

• Do anything you can to have her around other kids... Visit anywhere that is kid friendly. Parks, Zoos, Kids Museum... Join / Make a playgroup.. Maybe you could watch a kid for a while (make a few buck & entertain your kid!)... Stuff like that....

You dont have to have another child.. I promise, kids love other kids at the park, they are not that friendly to siblings though haha!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:09 PM on May. 20, 2010

• just get her involved with play dates. Its natural for her to want to play. How about classes where she is around other kids? I have 3 lots of fighting! LOL
    Anonymous

• My son is an "only" (not by choice, it just worked out that way for us) and to make up for his lack of sibling playmates, I joined playgroups, took him to the local park, took him to the library for storytime, put him in a toddler activities group (like gymboree, but a local program), took him to the zoo, the local children's museum, etc. When he was old enough, I put him in a private preschool 2 days a week for 3 hours a day, which he loved. He had plenty of opportunities for socializing, plus the added advantage of being able to come home and chill without the distraction of siblings to bug him & drive him nuts...lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Well then keep her in preschool and play dates etc. Classes...art, dance, music where she is exposed to others and can form friendships.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:58 PM on May. 21, 2010

• OP

Thank you all for your answers!!
    Anonymous