a bit frustrated about potty training

Today is day 6 of potty training. so far, day 1, 2 and 4 he peed in the potty once, day 5 peed in the potty twice, day 3 and day 6 nothing. We are so proud when he goes in the potty, even if it is once a day or twice, it's a great start. He is praised. but the days he doesnt and it's all accidents I get frustrated (I dont take it out on him at all). he's pretty much in underwear all day, cloth training pants for naps and outings, diapers at night. I take him to the potty at the right time because if he misses it's usually right after he is off the potty. I'm not in a rush, but also not being sluggish about it. can anyone relate? Are we on the right track?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:05 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he's getting off the potty and peeing, you should try not taking him periodically, but instead waiting for him to pee, and then moving him there. It worked for us.
    Anonymous

• I'd suggest underpants ALL DAY and eliminate outings for 3-4 days til things are more confidant.

During his awake hours up the beverages and salty snacks (popcorn, pretzels, etc) to produce more pee..... and stop liquids an hour before nap and 90 minutes before bed.

And you can EASILY do an outing in underwear. Say, Perkins for lunch

get dressed and shoes on, pee
    drive to restaurant, find table, order
    pee
    eat
    pee and leave
    drive home
    pee

It's all about sitting on the toilet before and after each step of activity you're doing

IE nap, pee. eat snack, pee. color, pee. play blocks, pee. run outside to check the mail, pee. call grandpa and tell you went pee, then pee.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:10 PM on May. 20, 2010

• ok mine is 3 & still doesn't get the whole potty thing.. every kid is different let him decide when he is ready
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:18 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Everything that I have read says that you can try and try to potty train your child. But until the child is old enough to tell you that he/she has to go to the bathroom, you'll only become frustrated.
    Anonymous

• my son does tell me...at least he did.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:29 PM on May. 20, 2010

• You are on the right track... but with some kids... most boys... it takes a long time! You have to ignore all those "my kid did it at 18 months, and it only took 3 days" stories!!! Yeah, some people get lucky and that's good for them - but that is SO NOT the norm. The reality is it takes a long time, and you just have to keep trying!! I know... we've been at it for months!! Some days are good, some days not so much. I even talked to my little guys Doc... she says it's totally normal to be taking this long ;o) Hing in there Mom, stop counting the days, and roll with it!! Your doing great!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:20 PM on May. 20, 2010

• "stop counting"...thanks mama :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:57 PM on May. 20, 2010