Help! I am so discouraged.

I just found out today tha my 14modd has an egg and a peanut allergy.... If that isn't discouraging enough, I was advised not to eat eggs or peanuts myself and to stop breastfeeding asap. I have recently weaned her down to twice a day (morning and bedtime nursing) and have been fighting a case of mastitis for the last 2 weeks (on my second antibiotic) how do i wean her if i keep developing plugged ducts and infections? I've tried pumping... but i just want to stop making the milk all together and stop suffering. And I don't want to be the cause of my dd's exzema or allergies any longer (which seemed to be what the allergist's was implying) Also, she won't drink cow's milk... so shouldn't I be supplementing something if I stop nursing? Help please... I don't know what to do

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 10:14 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try switching her to a formula until she is ready for whole milk.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:23 PM on May. 20, 2010

• She's 14 months old... she is ready for whole milk... that's not the problem... she doesn't like it... doesn't like it war, cold, mixed with BM..... anyway shape or form....... im thinking of trying a toddler formula, but i don't know... i went this long without introducing formula it just seems discouraging to me
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 10:29 PM on May. 20, 2010

• At 14 months its ok to start giving them other liquids besides milk. Most liquids need to at least be mixed with half water. There are some moms at this age that have taken their kids completely off of Breast Milk and bottles all together. Even though milk is good for them there are other ways to get the calcium and other vitamins from milk that they need. (that is what my nieces doctor told her. ) Keep in mind there are some kids that can't have any type of dairy product and they are just fine. Good luck to you!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 11:14 PM on May. 20, 2010

• try soy .... might help
    Anonymous

• You could always try a soy to make sure she is still getting some of the nutrients she needs. Or yogurt if she wont drink the milk. I would talk to her pedi to see what they suggest. Good luck...
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:24 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Talk to her Doc, or your!!!
    Anonymous

• You shouldn't need to stop nursing, just stop eating the foods she's allergic to. I know the peanut allergy is scary... my daughter's was discovered at 13 months. I stopped eating peanuts and tree nuts and keeping everything out of the house even made in the same facility with those. I know the eggs are a big deal, too... But why were you told to stop nursing? If I were in your position, I would rather cut those things out of my diet than force the weaning more quickly than I was comfortable with. Don't worry about the cow's milk... it isn't that important. At 14 months, water is fine. Get calcium from veggies.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:46 PM on May. 20, 2010

• A lactose free milk? Rice milk, soy milk, almond milk ( idk if almonds are the same as peanuts allergy wise)
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:35 AM on May. 21, 2010