How do I know if my son broke his finger?

my son today told me that he was playing basketball when the ball hit his finger. now he can't even take a bath without him crying that it hurts. i've been feeling around it and touching it but i don't feel anything, i should know since two years ago i broke my bone that's for my pinky finger, and i didn't even know that it broke until i couldn't even do my hair unless i felt my bone moving in two places. can some one help me?

cataquiroz24

Asked by cataquiroz24 at 10:37 PM on May. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• take him to the doctor.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:38 PM on May. 20, 2010

• the only way you will know is to get a x ray of it
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 10:39 PM on May. 20, 2010

• take him for an xray-- NOW not tomorrow if it involves the growth plate it needs to be seen by an orthopedist asap--oh and ice it up
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:40 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I wish I had Xray vision. That's the only way to know. My DH has his EMT training and said the same thing as well. Ice it. Take him in.
    Anonymous

• How do I know if my son broke his finger? Take him to the Doc's for an X-ray.. that is the only definitive way to know!! Chances are he just sprained (AKA: "jammed") it given the mechanism of injury you described. Make sure he is icing it 15 minutes several times a day. It will swell and possibly turn colors... but there may still be a hairline fracture or an avulsion fracture of some kind. If in doubt call his doc in the morning!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:43 PM on May. 20, 2010

• But I forgot to say....you can wait 'til morning to take him to the doc if you feel it may be broken... but you really should splint it in a neutral, comfortable position... slightly bent

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:48 PM on May. 20, 2010

• u guys are right it's getting swollen, but the thing that he hates it's that tomorrow is career day and he doesn't wants to miss it, plus he's in a band with his dad and uncles and he plays the drums, so if he broke it, he knows that he might have trouble to play this saturday.
    cataquiroz24

Answer by cataquiroz24 at 10:49 PM on May. 20, 2010

• u dont post these sorts of questions on cafemom or other websites .. u call up ure doctor !!! i dont think anyone is certified here to give u the correct advice. plus if there was some doctor on cafemom (i highly doubt it though, they have a busy life and better things to do unlike us moms) even he/she wont be able to say anything without having a look at it..
    i seriously cant seem to understand this fact y mom's post child injury (or even their own serious health concerned) question on cafemom !!
    like the other day i read a question about some stupid woman saying she was past 36 weeks in pregnancy and she's having pains, and im like "stupid woman !!! call ure doctor ! what are u doing here on internet for !!"
    Anonymous

• 11:31 PM Anonymous - Actually I am a Licenced, Certified Athletic Trainer... I eval & treat HS sports injuries for a living - I answer questions on here after my kids go to sleep, while I am watching TV, unwinding. It make me feel good to help people with the knowledge that I have spent years acquiring.

I am sure if it was that bad she would have taken to kid to the Doc's!! I know exactly how this injury plays out.. hurts like crazy when it happens, starts to feel better after a bit, but then as the hours go on & it swells the pain grows. Probably didn't seem like much of an injury, but as the adrenaline and endorphins in his body dissipate the pain grows. Some injuries are borderline... could go either way. And sometimes people post to get more info, to be educated when they actually get to the doc the next morning. I don't get why you are so grumpy about it. Geesh

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:53 PM on May. 20, 2010

• cataquiroz24, splint it, let him go to school, then take him after school.(maybe call the school nurse and ask her to look at it.. they see this stuff all the time... I know the school nurse i work with is good with this stuff) If it's fractured, and he doesn't get it taken care of he will miss a lot more drumming then just one Saturday. Explain the big pic to him ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:58 PM on May. 20, 2010