I need opinions on a childcare dilemma!!

okay, heres the run down... we are looking into childcare for our son (heLs 2). we found a daycare that we liked and that everyone keeps telling us to checkout and we have heard nothing but good things about it. when we looked into the place Blake was still in diapers. but since then we had some trouble with the idapers fitting (hes a big boy) so we just switched him to pull ups since we had kind of started potty training anyways. now this daycare does not allow pull ups. so we continued looking and have not found anything else that has "wowed" us. what would you other parents do? would you just chose another daycare or would you switch ur child back to diapers and put him in the daycare you liked? also please know that even though he is in pullups he hasnt started pulling them up or down to potty. we are really stuck as to what to do!

ctsassy

Asked by ctsassy at 10:44 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe find aMOM that needs to make extra$ and is willing to helppotty train your son. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• That's really weird that the daycare wouldn't make the exception since he's big for diapers. I would ask the daycare what they suggest since they say no pullups and explain that you have trouble with diaper sizes. If I were you I would take him to the daycare that you like because you being comfortable with someone watching your son while you are away is the most important thing :) Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• That's a no brainer for me! Put the kid in diapers! It is NOT easy to find a daycare that you "love" He will be out of diapers eventually. Glad you found a place you like...
    Anonymous

• If I had to send my child to daycare I would send them to a home provider instead of a center. My mom has done a home daycare for 25+yrs I helped her when I was young, and before I had kids I worked as a teacher at a center.
    Anonymous

• if it where me i would buy him diapers that r a lil bit big maybe a size bigger than his normal weght size and see if that helps cuz u all already know the ppl there and it is always very hard on a child switching daycares....trust me i had to do it too....if hes good there and likes everyone there so far by him huggies(cuz for a big pack they r only nine dollars) and bcz they r great...i had on in the car when my water broke and it held it ALL in lol
    Anonymous

• I am a daycare provider, and I think that you should just explain your situation to them. Rules are made, but there can alwaysy be exceptions. ~ Communication is the most important thing!!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 10:53 PM on May. 20, 2010

• That's nuts!! I'd talk with them about that as a PP has said. My son's preschool does not allow diapers... they have to be in pull-ups (b/c they don't have to undress him if they have to change the kids that way). I'd definitely talk to them. I've never heard of a place not supporting the potty training process!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:54 PM on May. 20, 2010

• If he is too big for any diapers, but not ready to potty train I'd talk to the provider you like and see if they have any suggestions. If he's just between sizes on diapers, maybe try a few different brands to find one that works better for him. I would not let this be the thing that keeps him out of your first choice daycare center.
    Anonymous

• to the one who said to find s mom to help me potty train...i kind of take offence to that. im ni kind of take offence to that...im not sure how it was supposed to be directed but to me it comes across as u telling me that i cant handle potty training my son and thats not right. i dont need help potty training him because we are already doing that...i need suggestions on daycare. the daycare helps potty train them as well buit they dont use pull ups because of sanitary reasons. and they believe that its better to potty train going from diapers straight to underwear. and as for home daycare we have been looking into that as well but we havent found one we like yet. i have nothing against them, its just finding a daycare we are positive about! one of our concerns with home daycare though was that he would be moved to a new place in a year anyuways to start preschool so why not just find a daycare that he can stay @ for that 2!
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 11:00 PM on May. 20, 2010

• they won't let him wear pull ups? What kind of place is that! My son was big too at this age so we had him in pull ups before he was fully wanting to be potty trained. I think I would keep looking myself because at some point when he is actively potty training you may want to use pull ups.
    Anonymous