Free play preschool or structured?

Which would you choose? I researched both.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have my DD in a structured but it is montessori style, my DD classroom 3-5 depending on the maturity level. The classroom below hers is 2.5-4. 2.5 is the youngest they take which is for the beginning preschool program. My DD has a short attention span so I didn't think a free play would work as well because she need the structure to help focus. They still do a lot of free play though. I would say look for a program that your child works well with.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:55 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Preferably, one that had both. But if I had to choose b/w one who had no structure, and one who had no free play, I'd choose the one WITH free play. Free play is essential to a child's education. Especially at preschool age.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:56 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Well I like montessori my 5yr old goes to one of those and its awesome! they learn so much yet they make choices on what they want to do. Last yr we had her at a creative curriculum preschool and that was kinda similiar to motessori but they had more structure as far as when they did everything and it was teacher led.
    Anonymous

• structured, if im gonna pay for pre school i want my child to learn. i would rather pay for preschool and have my child learn something than take them to head start. my boys both were in the pre school through the school and i feel it was the best thing i did.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 11:05 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I would go with one that combined them. A free play period then a structured "learning time", then more free play, off and on for the duration of the day/half day. I worked at one like that in college, and the kids really did well with it. The combo really allowed the more playful kids to work off their energy before the structured sessions, and the structured parts worked well with the more particular kids, and having them together taught the kids to adapt better than having just one or the other would.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:30 PM on May. 20, 2010

• They can do structured and let me do the free play at home.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:38 PM on May. 20, 2010

• OP I agree I would like both. Too much structure at that young of an age can lead to burnout and sadness. Kids have their whole life to learn and be in a structured environment. Let a kid be kid for the first 5 years of their life!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 21, 2010