how did you encourage your breech baby to turn?

I am 36 weeks and if baby does not turn by my dr's appt next week, I will be scheduled for a c-section. Any helpful hints would be really appreciated, thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• (cont) to fail just a few hours after his birth. He had to be hooked up to machines right away and he had to have a heart transplant, his body rejected the heart when he was 9 months old and he passed away. I was just a year old when this happened. I didn't know thats why his heart failed. if I did, I never would've tried it. It put him under so much stress that it ended up making his time on earth, painful and short. Not fair to the baby at all. Put the safety of your child first in this situation before you put your fears/worries about a c-section first.
    b_pacheco

Answer by b_pacheco at 4:28 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't have any personal experience with breech babies, but I've heard good things about this site: http://www.spinningbabies.com/

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:05 PM on May. 20, 2010

• My daughter was breech and we made attempts to turn her but she turned herself back around and I ended up having a c-section. I honestly wouldn't recommend doing anything to try to turn her around. It puts a lot of stress on the baby and the mother and just isn't necessary. If she was meant to come vaginally she would. She knows what she needs to do....
    Anonymous

• You are only 36 weeks. Baby has PLENTY of time to turn!! A lot of babies turn during labor.
    Laureney

Answer by Laureney at 12:20 AM on May. 21, 2010

• You can find a Webster technique certifies chiropractor using icpa4kids.com. The webster technique has an 80-90% success rate. As the pp mentioned, spinning babies is a great website. Moxibustion has also been used to turn breech babies.

BTW, I had a persistent transverse baby. My webster trained chiropractor turned her at nearly 41 weeks! The webster technique is *very* safe. The chiro uses two fingers to gently release your abdominal muscles by touch.
    jeremysmom04

Answer by jeremysmom04 at 12:21 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Even if baby doesn't turn, new research has shown that vaginal birth is safer than elective c-sections for breech babies.
    jeremysmom04

Answer by jeremysmom04 at 12:23 AM on May. 21, 2010

• There is information you can learn about birthing a breech baby, if by chance the baby is breech when you are in labor. Things such as waiting until full dilation before pushing, knowing good body positions to push in. A breech birth would have better outcomes if the birth relatively fast (few pushes), and not preterm (premature babies have larger heads than their chest so are more likely to get "stuck" because of the difference), and definitely be dilated (to help prevent what was just said lol).

You should get information on your choices, the chiropractic technique is known to work and is more gentle than letting your doctor try to force the baby into position. There is also spinning babies which was mentioned earlier, which has a few techniques to help the baby to turn - it may need to be repeated many times. Chiro only once or twice.
    ProudMuslimMa2B

Answer by ProudMuslimMa2B at 1:21 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I agree with what some of the other ladies have said. I do not recommend external version (the technique that the one poster was referring to as being dangerous). It only has a 50% sucess rate anyway. You can have a chiro do the webster technique which is gentle on baby and has a high sucess rate. You can do pelvic tilts (google it for more info) to help encourage baby to turn. You can either put a frozen pack behind where baby's head is to encourage them to move away from it, or you can shine a flashlight of play music on the bottom of your uterus as the light and sound will encourage baby to move towards it. Check out www.spinningbabies.com for more. If baby is stubborn and doesn't want to turn, it has been found that giving birth to a breech is safer than having an elective c/s for it. The only reason the dr doesn't like to do it is because US dr.'s aren't trained in it, and they like their interventions too much...
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 2:00 AM on May. 21, 2010

• cont...

In a breech birth, mom does better waiting until she cannot resist the urge to push any longer. It is also better for her to be on her hands and knees and mom will naturally get in that position as breech babies tend to give momma back labor. Oddly enough the positions that give momma back labor are also birthed better on hands and knees. Mom pushes until the umbilical stump is visible. The birth attendent can make sure that the cord isn't too tight to avoid compression. As the head comes, mom needs to not push and let the head ease out. If mom pushes when the head is emerging, it can damage the tymphanic membrane on the back of baby's head. The French obstetrician, Michel Odent says the best way to attend a breech birth is to sit on your hands in the corner and just watch. US dr.'s are unable to do that as it goes against their training to be hands off even though there is evidence that it is better.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 2:06 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My daughter was breech, I found out at 37 weeks. My doctor did not tell me the risks of external turning. The babys chord could get wrapped around the babys neck, cause distress, and it can be fatal. I was not told any of that. I was asked if I would like an epidural, I said no because I was with my mom and we never heard of getting one for this purpose. That was the most pain I've ever been in. Worse then labor, worse then my C-Section. My stomach was bruised from that even AFTER I had her. I went through with it for about 30 seconds and screamed stop. It was horrible. I loved my C-Section. The process was wonderful, No pain, No pressure, nothing. Afterwards I was sore for a few weeks, but definately worth it. I had found out my cousin had tried to externally flip her baby when she found out he was breech, The baby was put under so much stress that she had an emergency c-section, and when her son was born, his heart started..
    b_pacheco

Answer by b_pacheco at 4:25 AM on May. 21, 2010