when to see a dentist?

whats the age for a kid to start seeing a dentist? My son is 25 months old. Only thing is he is TERRIFIED of doctors. I doubt he'll allow someone to look in his mouth...

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:08 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My boys started at age 2. My oldest was fine, went right back opened his mouth and had an exam/cleaning that day! My other 2.... well they were a lot more hesitant. What we did was ask for a few minutes to be added to brother's time and then the younger ones would go and look in the room, then next time they sat in the chair, and finally felt comfortable enough to have an exam. Dentist offices are used to kids and they understand that some are not willing to be worked on 1st visit. You could try a pediatric dentist- they cater to children and they sometimes can have better luck than a general dentist.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:32 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Around 3 years of age, unless you have any concerns. You can always start looking for pediatric dentists in your area.

Hope this helps a bit.

Erika
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 11:13 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I first took my daughter at age 3. I took her to a Pediatric Dentist that was very kid friendly and made it a great experience for her from the beginning. Now she is 10 with no cavities still (yay!) and doesn't mind going at all.
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 11:28 PM on May. 20, 2010

• We started regular checkups at 18 months. A pediatric dentist is worth the extra expense.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 AM on May. 21, 2010