How do you handle bedtime troubles?

My DD is 3 and here recently she has been a nightmare to get to stay in bed. After doing our routine and tucking her in, she will get up every few minutes for no reason. Some nights it takes 20 minutes, other nights it's an hour of battling before she stays in bed. I just don't know what else to do. Any ideas on how to help her stay in bed and fall asleep easier?

lovebugs_mom

Asked by lovebugs_mom at 11:38 PM on May. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I went through this also and honestly though it sounds silly I used the "Supernanny approach" (as in the show Supernanny) and low and behold - it worked! Here is a link to it and the website. Maybe give it a try if your open to this idea? I know it sounds simple but the hard part is doing each step EXACTLY how she says - no veering. Good luck!!

http://www.supernanny.com/Advice/-/Supernanny-techniques/-/Discipline-and-reward/The-stay-in-bed-technique.aspx
    Anonymous

• When Kiwi used to do this, coming out of the room for this and that, just random excuses not to sleep, we would take her back to her room. Before putting her back in bed, we'd have her pick a toy or privilege to do without the next day. She will still come out, although it hardly happens, but when she does, we'll ask her, what's it this time, no tv tomorrow, dog restrictions, no dolls, and she has to pick what she'll do without. Just stick with what was decided or it will never work. It only took three or four days of this and it became such a rare occurrence with Ki, that she's only caused bedtime problems about 2 or 3 times in the last year.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:43 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Does DD have any favorite toys,pillow or blankie? If so let DD sleep with it.Try a night light on and/or let DDknow that who ever their favorite cartoon character (and yourself!) would be very proud of them if they stayed in bed and went to sleep like a big child.
    bae-bae

Answer by bae-bae at 3:35 PM on May. 21, 2010

• the final step before our son goes to bed is reading on the couch. Depending on the time he gets to choose 2-5 books to read. Before and after each book I say "OK, 3 more books and then bed time- okay?... 2 more books.... this is the last book and then bed time" We also did the super nanny approach. The first time he gets out put him back in and say "Good night Ethan, I love you" The second time "Good night Ethan" and the third and all additoinal times put him back into bed without saying anything. I was unsure about the second time- I thought it would seem like I did't love him anymore because I wasn't saying it- but this was crutial to having him stay in bed. Don't know why, but it still is. He gets out of bed every night one time. As soon as I put him in and say only "goodnight Ethan" he is down for good. Good luck. The first few nights he may get up 15 or more times. But it did work eventually for us (3-5 days)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 4:44 PM on May. 21, 2010

• PM me. I finally solved the problem with my 3 year old (the supernanny thing did NOT work for him) but it's too long to type here!
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 6:54 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Here is an article "How to put your child to bed without tears" http://www.ehow.com/how_5237198_put-child-bed-tears.html

Also see the Bedtime/Sleep/Afraid of the Dark section here http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:53 PM on May. 21, 2010