Please share your experience in an IEP meeting. Thank you.

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 12:28 AM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My little brother has IEP meetings all the time. Really its just the officials and stuff talking about their goals and stuff for the child.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 12:29 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I meet with all the therapist, teachers, usually a principal and counselor, the autism specialist, and special ed director for the school. Normally they have a report ready and we go over what goals have been reached which need work and any new issues. I give my input ask questions and i make changes as i see fit. If I do not agree with something we work on it until i am satisfied with the wording and plan. I like that i can talk face to face with all of them at one table and all of us can say "oh yeah he does that but if you do this...... he will react this way" I normally get to see his state test scores and i even get to just talk about the academics and how he is doing. It gives me a better insight to what is happening when I am not there. My experiences have generally been good ones, we have a great team that works with my son, we are very lucky.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:39 AM on May. 21, 2010

• great It's been nice to hear that. thank you.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 12:44 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My son has Asperger's, so we've been in the IEP realm for a while. His has specific goals for each year. At each IEP meeting, we go over the goals and what his progress is in meeting them. Generally the meeting includes the principal, his primary teacher and his writing teacher, and the school psychologist. The speech therapist had been involved for a while but he finished speech therapy. We get progress reports from the occupational therapist, but he's not seeing that specialist regularly so she doesn't participate.

If I have any questions, they get answered, and I do get some great suggestions on things I can do at home to help with his study habits and his interaction with others.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 AM on May. 21, 2010