need advice from people who rented their house out

How is it best? to use a property management co or just find my own tenants and save the fees? Is there a sample contract online that I can use? What do I do if they don't pay rent? How do I evict them? I will be in a different state. I need all your experiences on this subject. Thanks a lot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm glad u asked this question because I am thinking of being one.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:11 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I did it ..rented in one state, living in another. Won't do it again! It's too hard to keep an eye on your property and renters take advantage of the fact that you aren't around.

IF you do this .. then you need a person you can trust that will stop and check on the property on a regular basis, be able to keep up on repairs and make sure they are done properly ... so a Property Mgmt company would be good it you don't have someone.

My renter quit paying rent .. supposedly moved. I spent a lot of money to have the house cleaned and painted, ready for sale. Then a few months later I get a call from my realtor telling me that he went to show the house and someone is living IN THE HOUSE !

There are standard rental forms you can use and just fill in the blanks. you can find these on line or at a store that sells "legal documents and packets".

Good luck!
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 1:13 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I was thinking to rent out my basement but it's just getting to look like it's more of a pain in the butt than to just have the whole house to myself
    Anonymous

• I have been a landlord for 4 years. I've had 3 tenants and its not all that bad but being in a different state can be abit different. I have gone to court for non payment of rent and all of the above. PM me if u need additional info. I also have a contract I can share with you and some other forms.
    rosadnr

Answer by rosadnr at 10:13 PM on May. 23, 2010