What is your experience in your initial Individualized Education Program for your child?

Was it pleasant? helpful? informative?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 12:37 AM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I answered your first question, but to give more detail yes they are helpful, it is the only time you will have the entire team at one table to talk openly. It is always informative, the insight i gain to who my child is away from home is huge and tells me that what we are doing is working, it also helps me pinpoint problems that i may not see at home because they are school issues or social issues.

If you have a good team you will have a pleasant meeting and it will be productive, if you have a team who doesnt really care and they are just doing their job you will feel like smacking someone before you leave. I have been in both places and honestly I learned early on that these meetings are my way of giving my child a voice. I am in control of what goes into the final plan. Be confident and know your rights, know the team and their jobs. I am never rude but i am informed and ready to stand up for my son if need be.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:47 AM on May. 21, 2010

• that is so helpful. I recently had the IEP meeting and found the experience to be positive. I wonder after the initial meeting, what's next?
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 12:54 AM on May. 21, 2010

• You will meet yearly and during the school year normally around report card time you will get a updated IEP report, it lets you know what progress has been made, what goals have been met and what they are still working on. An IEP is really a constantly changing plan. As your child ages their needs will change and new situations will arise that need to be addressed. My son is now in middle school so there are small things like where his locker is located written into his plan.
    Try to think of every detail no matter how small and have ti written in if you know it will make your childs experience less traumatic. Simple things like being able to use the bathroom or get drinks of water. Some teacher have strict rules and with some children that can cause major issues and they lose focus in the class room.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:08 AM on May. 21, 2010

• that's indeed helpful. thanks for sharing!!!
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 1:12 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My first IEP meeting for my son took place 9 years ago & it was terrible. First of all, I didn't even know I was having an IEP mtg. b/c nobody called it that. I thought I was just mtg. w/the school psych. to discuss my son's test results, but when I got there, in addition to the school psych, there were the bldg. principal, the classroom teacher, the reading specialist and the school counselor. They had me sign a piece of paper (a NOREP, but I didn't know that at the time) & sent me on my way, totally denying my son any services (yet it was his teacher who had initiated the process - I guess she was over-ruled). I had initially made my request for evaluation in Oct., but it wasn't until May that it was done & the results reported to me, which is totally illegal in my state, but I didn't know that. Much has changed for us since then & I know my bad experience was b/c of the district we were in, but it could happen to anybody.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I have been fortunate (I now home school) with IEP meetings. I never had to ask for anything pertaining to therapies or accommodations for my son.(They provided everything without my asking) Unfortunately this isn't th norm so I'm told. The only negative thing was the mainstream teacher, she was not in favor of having my ds or I imagine any special needs children, in her classroom. She rolled her eyes and offered little to help make things work with my ds. But prior to that they really were very helpful to us. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:21 PM on May. 21, 2010