Congestive heart failure?

I just got a call saying my husbands grandmother is in the hospitol with congestive heart failure do you know anyone that has been diagnosed with this? Is it something you can pull through? She lives a state away from us so i was needing to know if i should get plane tickets so we can see her. My dh is really close to her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Health

• It's when you get fluid around your heart. I don't know how long someone can last with it. My grandmother died of it after a surgery years ago.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:40 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It is quote common and many older people can have it for years before they die. I think I can best explain it like this: Part of the heart muscle becomes weak and the heart cannot pump quite as effectively. Because of this, some of the blood sits in the heart instead of getting pumped out. The tissues don't get as good of blood supply as they need, and those tissues can include the heart, lungs and brain. The lungs can get fluid in them, and pneumonia can set in. That's not always the case, but those are some things that can happen. People with untreated CHF can have swelling in the lower extremities from pooling. Usually medication helps them maintain a relatively normal life. If your grandmother-in-law was diagnosed before and has been on medication and just landed in the hospital, she might be in danger. If this is the first time being diagnosed, maybe she just needs to be put on meds. She really needs the doc to explain...
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:46 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My grandmother died of it. It usually is something that they will eventually succumb to. Here is why: It's a build up of fluid around the heart, which in turn makes the heart work harder due to increased pressure on the heart. It's something that will always be there and will usually cause problems relating to it, such as asthma, pulmonary edema, edema, etc.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:57 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My dad had it, then had open heart surgery and lived for 10 years. He died from that and complications from his diabetes, his body couldnt heal anymore. You can pull through it really depends on your overall health and how bad the heart is. I cant tell you how many times I flew home being told this was the end. Find out what the doctor is saying then decide. Even if it isnt the worst case, if your DH feels the need to go then let him, you just never know what can happen, things can change so quickly.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:00 AM on May. 21, 2010