Question about buttercream frosting PLEASE HELP!

So I'm making a cake and some cupcakes for my sons birthday party. They are going to have buttercream frosting on them. I want to make them in advance because it's already going to be a hectic day (on party day) that I don't want to have to deal with doing them the morning of. So my question is...can I frost them ahead of time, how much so, and how do I go about doing them (refridgerating them?), etc. Thanks to anyone with advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When I make my daughters cakes I always bake/frosting/decorate the night before. I then place them in the frig until about an hour before the party. You can make a buttercreme though out of butter flavoring and shortening which will not need to be refrigerated as long as you moisten it with water and not milk. You should be able to do that the day before the party- just be careful that the icing does not get too dry and crust off. Hope that helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on May. 21, 2010

• how much a head of time? If its just a couple hours I see no problem with doing it ahead of time and sticking them in a fridge but if its like a day or so I wouldnt the frosting will get all hard.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:49 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Night before is fine. And BTW- butter has a long life @ room temp, it won't give anyone food poisoning even if it is left out.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:51 AM on May. 21, 2010

• It depends on the density of the butter creme that you want to you too. If you want to use a softer it will not dry out as fast. If you are using a stiffer butter creme for say decorating- that has a better chance of drying out faster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on May. 21, 2010

• honestly buttercream can be left out or refrigirated or frozen. i worked in a bakery and ours was in a bucket on a shelf. the cake will go bad before the frosting.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:03 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Well, despite what the "long life" butter has at room temp. If anyone has ever worked at a bakery, *cough me cough* then THAT person would know that the frosting you get there which is "stored in buckets" contains NO actual butter. It is shortening and butter flavoring. Besides- if you are getting your cake from a baker that stores your frosting in a bucket, you may want to go elsewhere because real frosting SHOULD be made fresh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on May. 21, 2010

• i kind of agree with anon 1:11. yes it requires refridgeration, but homemade whipped cream frosting, is WAAAAAY better than any butter creme stuff which is total fat artery clooging goop. no frosting could be considered healthy, but whipping up some heavy whipping creme until its thick and adding some sugar as you go along, will give you much better and fluffier results. its easy, and nearly failproof, as long as you dont add the sugar in all at once, just a tablespoon at a time. you can then split it in batches and add food coloring, or you can even fold it in with some cream cheese frosting, that is the best! just an idea.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 1:23 AM on May. 21, 2010