Is it unhealthy for a 20 month old to walk a mile?

Let me clarify: He WANTED To! Lol.
I was absolutely shocked, my son just dragged me about a mile and a half to Grandma's house, and he didn't want to be carried at all. Then, he rode his bike! Do I have anything to be concerned about? Shin splints or something? Or will this be okay developmentally and healthy for him? I know it sounds like a strange question but it seems like a far distance to me....

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 1:00 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• a hospital in orange county raises money for cancer with a toddler run/walk and it's a mile.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:02 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Well then I guess we're on the right track...thanks! That's actually really cool...
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 1:05 AM on May. 21, 2010

• it was probably good for him really. he needs exercise too. his legs may be sore tomorrow, just like yours would be after a really long walk, then a bike ride.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:05 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I am sure he will be fine =) Watch out for a grumpy baby tomorrow though because he will probably be sore. If you notice he is sore in his legs let him take a long warm bath.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:23 AM on May. 21, 2010

• As long as he's the one directing it, no problem!
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 1:24 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I would think he will be fine. My 2 yr old daughter walked 4 miles a few weeks ago while hiking. Apparently she got this from me, because I could walk forever lol. But she is fine. She wasn't even cranky the next day. In fact she just asked yesterday if we could "go hike with frogs" lol. She calls it hiking w/ frogs because through our whole hike her and my hubby were finding frogs lol.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 10:29 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't see a problem... Sounds like he likes to walk and be active! Dh and dd went on a 3 mile hike and she hiked the whole way without wanting to be held! Of course she passed out in the car but 4 hours later she wanted to go on another one! So we did a short mile hike too, I wish I had their energy!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:55 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My son walks more than that everyday for the past 6 months or so and he is 2 and a half. :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:54 PM on May. 22, 2010