Have your child ever competed in sports on a State level? What was your experience so far? How was it for your child?

How much did you spend? Was it worth it?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 1:21 AM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD is too young to but I did for many years. I played AAU volleyball, we traveled all over the state to play. It was hard and exhausting (1-4 day tournaments, 4-10 games a day) but I loved it. I started playing at this level when I was in 5th grade and continued until I was a junior in high school. It cost about $300 a month plus tournament fees 1-2x a month. The tournament fees ranged from $25 for a one day tournament to a few hundred for a longer one (entry fee, hotel, etc.). At the beginning of each season there was also a start up fee, insurance fees, and uniform fees. Altogether that was around $350 a season.

Yes it is costly, exhausting, and tough on the body. I feel it was worth every cent though, because I was doing what I loved. It taught me dedication, kept me fit, and kept me in line (very time consuming). It was one of the best choices my parents and I ever made for me.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:32 AM on May. 21, 2010

• it's so great to know that!
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 1:42 AM on May. 21, 2010