Should I start rice cereal?

My daughter is four months old. When born she weighed 6lbs 14oz. Now she weighs 17lbs. She is a great supported itter and almost doesn't need help at all. She watches when we eat and just seems ready. The dr. and my fiance are in agreeance that we need to wait until 6 month. Supposedly it is what is best according to studies. Should I go ahead and try to intrduce her to rice cereal behind my finace's back? Or should I go ahead and wait? Thanks for the advice!
~Vanessa~

Aubreys_Mom_10

Asked by Aubreys_Mom_10 at 1:40 AM on May. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

I strongly urge you to do your own research on child nutrition.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:14 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Not necessary, you should wait til the six month mark. Solids in the first year are meant to be an afterthought, her gi tract is still immature.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 1:42 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Just wait. Babies digestive systems are not ready for solids until 6 months. She has her whole life to eat food...no need to rush it.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:42 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I would just wait no need to rush it.
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 1:47 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't be sneaky about it. If you did sneak it, He'd surely notice in her poop. Lot's of babies start earlier than 6 months and are fine. My son loves oatmeal. And my doc said the best time to introduce solids is between 4-6 months. There's such a wide range of opinions though. Go to the Gerber website, and under the "supported sitter" category, there's a whole bunch of tips from Peds. and quizzes to take to decide if your baby is ready. And tips on what kind of foods to start first. They also have a fact and myth section about baby food. Some new studies about these "myths" that I never knew.
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 1:48 AM on May. 21, 2010

• No need to rush. She'd be interested if you were smoking cigarettes, and of course you're not going to light one up for her.

What you SEE is not really important in this process. It's what you CAN'T see...that little digestive system.

Relax. She's got ALL her life to eat solids. There's no rush. When you do introduce them, breast or bottle FIRST, solids AFTER to ensure adequate nutrition and avoid constipation.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Just wait until she can sit up and pick up real food and put it in her mouth and chew. Save time, money and her stomach.

Solids before one is just for fun...not nutrition.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:20 AM on May. 21, 2010

• My son was 10 pounds when he was born.And at 2 months milk just didn't cut it and he was hungry all the time.So I put rice cereal in his bottles and cut the nipple on the bottle a little.Not too long after that I started him on table food. He was fine and healthy.I think you should go with your gut and don't listen to others on when to start feeding your baby real food.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 9:09 AM on May. 21, 2010

• All you'd be doing is creating gas and possibly constipation, and lots of poop consisting of rice cereal since it won't be digested. It would just take the place of where the nutrition should come from breastmilk/formula. The calories consume would be LESS not more. It would be like you taking a fiber pill. Where's the nutrition if you are too full to eat? The recommendation is six months for digestive reasons. Not to mention that rice cereal tastes horrible.

And why would you go behind your fiances back? How would you feel if he did the same to you? That's disrespectful.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:18 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Rice cereal causes allergies in a lot of babies, so they often recommend if you are going to start baby foods you skip the cereals all together. You can give them vegetables, but it is best to wait til 6 months if you can. Introducing solids to a baby too soon can cause allergies, and they can be life-long. My oldest two I went by the feeding schedule THEN which was rice cereal at 4 months. They BOTH have eczema and keratosis pilaris. I started my DD (who is 5 years younger than my middle child), on oatmeal at 6 months, and vegetables at 7 months, and she seems to have far better skin than my other two and fewer seasonal allergies, too. I know there has been research between the correlation of starting foods too early and kids with allergies and skin conditions, but I will have to look that information up later if you are interested.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:19 AM on May. 21, 2010